Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Comrpession Ratio for R-22 and R-410A

Options
The compression ratios for R-22 and R-410A air conditioning systems are both very close to 3:1.

An R-22 system at design conditions will operate with a low side pressure of 68.5 psig and a high side pressure of 278 psig. This will give you a compression ratio of 293/84, which is about 3.5.

An R-410A system at design conditions will operate with a low side pressure of 118 psig and a high side pressure of 440 psig. This will give you a compression ratio of 455/133, which is about 3.4.

The Coefficient of performance (COP) is also about the same for equivalent systems operating with R-22 and R-410A.

One factor that contributes to increased efficiency of R-410A systems is the higher deisgn operating pressure on the low side of the system. Coils typically operate at a temperature slightly higher than the coil temperature of an R-22 evaporator coil. This will increase the Net refrigeration effect of the cooling coil and reduce the amount of refrigerant that the compressor must pump through the system.

By increasing the Net Refrigeration Effect, the mass flow rate of the system is decreased, reducing the load on the system compressor.

:)

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    Very well said Gene....

And if you plot that on the P/E chart of any system, I believe you will find that the more sub-cooling you can achieve the better Net Ref. Effect you will get. Now,...That is different for any refrigerant, but I guess My Q: would be...Seeing that R 22 & 410A are similar in performance, WHAT is actually accounting for the increased efficiency? Chem. make up of the Ref. OR that the 410A has the ability to drop it's LL temp greater than R-22?
    I hope I didn't confuse myself.....:-)

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.