Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

pump curves

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
Along the bottom of the chart, running from left to right is the flow, usually in GPM. (Litres in metric measurement.)

Along the left side, running from bottom to top is the head or pressure differential imparted by the circulator. This is usually in "feet of head". (Meters or Decimeters in metric measurement.)

That area above and to the right of these indexes is the "field" on which the circulator curves are plotted.

The "curves" typically run from upper left to lower right and represent the flow and pressure measured at a constant speed (RPM). You can see how a given circulator will produce less flow against a higher head or more flow against a lower head.

Your SYSTEM curve (over which you have some control) runs from the lower left corner (zero flow = zero head, make sense?) up to the intersection with your circulator curve.

The system curve is NOT part of the circulator curve but is something you plot yourself to check your system performance and to assure yourself that you selected the right circulator.

There is more to it than that, but this is a general description which I hope well start you on a path of self-discovery.
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• JackHoseman
    JackHoseman Member Posts: 6
    Options
    pump curves

anybody up for giving me a short course in understanding & reading pump curves? Just small heating boiler pumps. Thanks Jack
  • Pump Curves

Hello Jack. Please send me your mailing address and I'll send you a training CD - there is good information on it (pump and heating basics).

My E Mail address is steve,thompson@wilo-na.com
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    have you some recent information on the Mini circs?

i have a perfect small home to exemplify the reasoning of the smaller circs....
  • Jack Hoseman

Does this help?
  • Jack Hoseman

Does this help?
    Taco has alot of neat stuff in their arsenal!

Dave
This discussion has been closed.