Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Yorker Boilers

Options
Mitch_4
Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
I am in Ontario, probably a bit warmer design temp, but I am heating my all original 2200 sq.ft. 4 level side split, early 70's home (all original insulation, doors and windows with 46,000.

UIse the heat loss software available here and crunch some numbers...

Comments

• Grant
    Grant Member Posts: 8
    Options
    New Yorker Boilers

I'm not familiar with these and got a good quote to replace my currently cracked Burnham. This is for a gas steam system. Who are these people and where are their boilers manufactured? Any feedback would be appreciated.
  • Scott Larabee
    Scott Larabee Member Posts: 28
    Options

I'm not familiar with thier gas boilers, but the oil boilers, and I assume the gas as well, are made by Burnham.

Scott
  • st heat
    st heat Member Posts: 28
    Options
    new yorker

pardon me but you should be more concerned about the piping job that you will get.you should ask your bidder to give you a hand drawn proposed near boiler piping sketch including materials and pipe sizes and then lets have a look.good luck s.t.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

installed many of their oil boilers over the last ten years. Never had a problem. They are just a basic, well made boiler. No fancy bells and whistles. They used to be made about 5 miles from my hometown before being bought out by Burnham.
  • Boilerpro_5
    Boilerpro_5 Member Posts: 407
    Options
    I have many of thier gas hot water boilers in place

and are a basic good, low cost boiler. I have had a few minor issues with them....like a wiring harness too short for the application. For your application, you may want to follow Steamhead's (one of the best of the best in steam heating)advice and look into the Smith G-8 series steam boiler. I suspect when everything is taken into account, The Smith G-8 boilers will use 10 to 15 % less fuel than any other residential steam boiler out there. I am looking into them myself for my steam heated clients. There is little excuse for 80% efficient boilers still being nearly the only choice for residential steam.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Grant
    Grant Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Size Calc

Thanks for the feedback on New Yorker, would wlcome more thoughts on this burner. I also have been told we can go down in size. We have about 2400 square feet to heat with hot water on the first floor and steam on the 2nd. The total number of tubes for the steam is 566. Is there some place on this site or another I can go to calculate the size boiler I need?
  • Chas_2
    Chas_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options
    boiler size

just wanted to get basic size idea,, on 2400 square foot two story house,, late 70s vintage,,, southern new england,, have been told burnham oil fired 129000 btu unit would be more than enough,, does anybody disagree,,, tks jw
  • Chas_2
    Chas_2 Member Posts: 104
    Options

tks for the comback,, 46000 vs 129000,, big difference,,, ,, others i talked to were concerned my 129000 wasnt enuf,, what kind of radiators u have,, ,, i have ,, baseboard, nothing special,, i do know that cast iron baseboard is ,, extremely effecient,, and i cud drop down btus if i redid my house in it,,,, jw
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    another thought

Measure the amount of baseboard you have. It is capable of 600 btus / ft @ 180° (average, actual numbers may vary by manufacturer bu thte diff would be negligible.)

multiply the # of ft by 600. That is you approximate maximum radiation. I did a visit to a hoem that they complained the boiler was too big and wanted an independant evaluation.. Measuring the radiationwas the first thing I did, and the Homeowner said "what are you doing?" because no one did that..they had a 125,000 btu boiler installed with only 38,000 btus of radiation.

There is no way do dissipate the heat generated after 38,000. Boiler WWAAAYYY to big.

Measure it up and see what you got. P{ost it here I would be interested in seeing the result. For 129,000 @ 80% efficiency, (103,000 output) you need about 175' of baseboard.
  • Mitch_4
    Options
    I have

forced air..
  • Finster
    Finster Member Posts: 1
    Options
    SPECS for 1970's NEW YORKER boiler (oil) 171,000 btu model 840-2

HELP

where can I find the SPECS for 1970's NEW YORKER boiler (oil)  171,000 btu model 840-2

I started with new yorker / burnham and an hour later think i know less than when I started   :-(
This discussion has been closed.