Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.
Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit

Hydro Hammering!!!

Nikolaos V.
Nikolaos V. Member Posts: 1
I have a system that invovles a hot water and Nitrogen line tied to the same piping. (they are seperated by check valves) In the process the hot water cleans out a system, and the nitrogen is meant to dry the lines. the waste is directly connected to a pump and then pushe duped to the cieling to a drain opening. Problem is when the nitro goes up the pipe, it creates the banging (Hydro Hammer). is there a special valve that can be installed and where to help seperate the water and nitrogen from creating the banging.


  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,393
    Hydro Shock Arrestor

    is what you need. These can be specialized devices using either captive gas (N2 usually) or a spring-loaded ram or both.

    If this is a critical system (sounds like it) you should have an engineer take a look at it or contact a manufacturer directly. Hydraulic forces are exponential to velocity (forget initial pressure). Closing a street gate valve suddenly can lift a water main out of the street as you probably know.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

    -Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.


It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!