Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuseible Firemans Switch (ME)

I believe that they make this type of switch, take a look here:

http://www.highfield-mfg.com/oilvalves/OILVLV23/therm_swithch.htm

Comments

• Wallies...

We recently ran into a CSD1 provision we were not aware of requiring an emergency disconnect switch for the boiler that is supposed to be placed outside of the boiler room. This obviusly won't work in an apartment complex setting. Instead of putting it outside the boiler room, the inspector wanted it mounted just inside the boiler room door.

Now, I'm not a fireman, but if I felt there was a fire on the other side of the door, I wouldn't open the door to reach around and try and find the emergency shut off switch...

Our chief here is fairly reasonable (for the most part) , and I want to do what's right, but the switch idea seems kinda rediculous.

What I'd prefer to do is install a fusible link type of switch directly above the boilers, so that IF they were on fire, their heat would melt the fuse, thereby dropping power to the boiler.

Anyone know of one I can purchase to satisfy the needs of the boiler inspectors, and avoid wasting money?

TIA

ME
  • EtienneHancock
    EtienneHancock Member Posts: 18
    Firomatic

I believe that they make this type of switch, take a look here:

• Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    switch

Hi Mark, The common pratice in our area is to mount these switches inside the boiler room door. We use the mushroom type "E-stop" style switch mounted approximatly 6 foot off of the floor. I wire it into the transformer power to break control voltage to the system to ensure positive shut off of the boilers/ gas train.

As for your concern with opening the door I think if a fire was to that point, you've probably lost control power to the boilers anyway. I do understand your thoughts of possibly stopping a fire before it gets to that point.

The inspectors in our area want that human element to be able to step in and "push the button" in tha event of an emergency.

Regards, Rich L
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241

Why not put them both on? The firomatic above the boiler where it will shut it down if the temp goes up and a regular toggle wired in series at the door so someone can shut it down if its blowing smoke or making terrible noises.
  • John@Reliable_14
    John@Reliable_14 Member Posts: 171
    Mark, here's MA code and link to switches

(e) An electrical thermal switch fused to break the ungrounded conductor in the main circuit at 165F, shall be installed in the main power line within six feet over the top of the burner boiler or burner furnace.
    If the ceiling above the burner boiler or burner furnace exceeds 12 feet in height, an additional thermal switch shall be installed on the ceiling and connected in series with the lower switch.
    (f) Electrical equipment shall not obstruct clear access to clean out and service panels.
  • Tekkie
    Tekkie Member Posts: 58
    Former firemans thinking (or lack of)

Being a former fireman the switch should be outside the door. Why? Because a former stable state is now fed oxygen and results in an unstable state. It's called flashover. The Fire Co. WILL secure utilities as a matter of operations. That being said you must follow the AHJ and we live in the real world and many things make no sense...
    Going through that door would require me to have a charged hose line and full equipment w/ scba. Wouldn't even see the switch (probably) because it's either charged with smoke or fire or not. It should be determined before breaching the door.
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    A Knox box?

Maybe you could mount a Knox box...and put a switch inside. Only the FD has the key and I'm sure it could be keyed the same as an existing one (if there is one). I see they also have key switches on the website:

http://www.knoxbox.com/store/index.cfm?storeid=1&CFID=3697102&CFTOKEN=90910906
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    As a hydronics technician, fireman wannabe....

Tekkie, If we placed a disconnect switch on the outside the wall of apartment mechanical rooms, there would be a LOT of P.O'd people without heat and hot water. (Kids, irate tenants, mischiveous people etc) Not a good scenario.

As a fireman wannabe, I agree with you that I would prefer to see the switch outside the Mech Rm, as opposed to inside.

So, as a happy compromise, maybe a REQUIRED fire-o-matic switch over every boiler, and a Knox Box just outside the door.

I want to do what's right, and it seems to me that placing the switch inside the boiler room is a waste.

Anyone know anybody on the CSD1 committee? I'll write it if someone else will sponsor it.

Thanks to ALL the firemen and other first responders who put their lives on the line every day...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
This discussion has been closed.