Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No controller, logmatic, or something else?

Options
Jim R.
Jim R. Member Posts: 58
I saw the Buderus Logmatic at the Home Show and would like to know whether it or something similar makes sense (saves cents!) for my setup:

Buderus G124X, 60,000btu gas boiler with indirect hot water. 2 zones, 1 for DHW and 1 for baseboard heat. 2 years old. Located near Philadelphia, PA.

The house was built in the early 1950's and is not well insulated (we're working on that!). It's one floor and about 1600 sqft.

Hot water runs us under $25/month in the summer, but winter heating bills are around $300/month for Dec-Feb and we keep the temperature around 66-67 degrees. (Around 200ccf/month of gas)

Do you think the Logamatic control would save us 15-20%/month? I'm not sure if it's intended for a small setup like we have or if it's mainly for very large houses with many zones.

Also, is it OK to go with another brand like Tekmar or Honeywell (names I saw mentioned) to save money? I asked about different brands and the guy said to watch out as they could cause the heater to wear out faster.

Do you think I could get anything installed for $4-500 and see a difference?

Thanks! Lots of good info here, much of which is way over my head but it's fun to browse.

Comments

• Jamie Pompetti_2
    Jamie Pompetti_2 Member Posts: 62
    Options
    ?

Yes Jim, A logamatic will save anywhere from 15 to 20%. That's what the control is designed to do. If you have a buderus boiler I would stick with the logamatic. It's designed to work with this boiler specifically.

Although, I wish you much luck trying to get any reset control installed for the above price. The controls cost us more then the price you would like to see them installed for.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Tekmar 256

A lot less money, it would essentially have the same effect on fuel savings as the Logmatic control. The primary difference, - there are no relays built in for pumps and there is no provision for priority of the domestic hot water. You obviously have the relays already.

In simple terms, this control is designed to intercept the TT request to fire the boiler from the heating zones. It will basically replace your static/fixed high limit with a variable cut off based on the outdoor temperature and other parameters you program.

You would have to run the indirect request in parallel with this control - effectively bypassing it so the boiler could make 180F water for your indirect.

See brochure attached.

Hope this helps you.

Glenn
This discussion has been closed.