Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Off-Peak Electric Water Heaters

Options
geoboy
geoboy Member Posts: 30
Our condominium is currently using a large (1200 gallon) off-peak heater (brand name Megatherm)as part of our domestic water heating system. The unit has been repaired numerous times but it now appears that replacement is in order. We are looking at the possible use of natural gas, but for various reasons we also want to explore the possibility of continuing with electricity.

A while back the Wall had a thread in which someone posted a photo of several off-peak electric boilers configured in a modular arrangement. Apparently the poster has some familiarity with the application.

Can anyone (possibly the original poster mentioned above) point me to specific makes and models of modular, electric off-peak units we might explore?

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    contact Bill

at 800-922-4138. He is the tech guy and engineer at Electro Industries. he knows a ton about this concept.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • geoboy
    Options

Thanks Hot Rod! I'll give him a call.

Anyone else familiar with other makes/models?
  • geoboy
    Options

Well, I called Electro Industries. Unfortunately, although they make a complete line of electric boilers, they cannot be readilt classified as off-peak, since a large storage tank would be required.

Our Megatherm operates on the principal of pressurized water thermal storage. Simply put, water is used as a thermal storage medium and is held in a 1200 gallon tank at considerably higher than atmospheric pressure, up to 45 psi. Thus, water is maintained in the liguid state at temps up to 275 degrees F. Potable water is circulated thru a series of heat exchangers and tempering valves, harvesting the stored BTUs as needed. The heating and thermal storage are therefore contained in a single (although large) package.

What I'm wondering is whether there exists on the market an electrical device similar to this, although smaller. Several units could then be configured in modular fashion. This would have the added advantage of being able to fit thru the door. :)
  • geoboy
    Options

Well, I called Electro Industries. Unfortunately, although they make a complete line of electric boilers, they cannot be readily classified as off-peak, since a large storage tank would be required.

Our Megatherm operates on the principal of pressurized water thermal storage. Simply put, water is used as a thermal storage medium and is held in a 1200 gallon tank filled to about 800 gallons. The remainder of the tank contain an air cushion to allow for expansion. The water is heated by internal electric elements and remains in the liquid state at up to 45 psi and temps up to 275 degrees F. Potable water is circulated thru a series of heat exchangers and tempering valves, harvesting the stored BTUs as needed. The heating and thermal storage are therefore contained in a single (although large) package.

What I'm wondering is whether there exists on the market an electrical device similar to this, although smaller. Several units could then be configured in modular fashion. This would have the added advantage of being able to fit thru the door. :)
  • geoboy
    Options

Bumping it up. Anyone?
  • geoboy
    Options

Bumping it up. Anyone?
This discussion has been closed.