Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Reinstall old Radiator

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
check the capacity versus the heat loss at the available fluid temperature so that you do not waste your time. If over-sized, install a TRV. You do not say if it is a steam or water system but either way, an opportunity exists here.

As for finishing, I would strip the paint off of it, to bare metal, should there be lead paint. That will get the dust off too, last time I tried it :)

My $0.02

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• David Belisle
    David Belisle Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Reinstalling an old Radiator

I have an old Radiator that has been in the attic since we moved into the house 2 years ago. There is a pipe fixture capped off in one of the 2nd floor bedrooms and I wanted to reinstall the radiator and I was wondering if there is anything that I need to do to it prior to reattaching it to the line? Specifically as this is for a bedroom for a child I was wondering about dust and cleaning the unit prior to installation.
    Thanks,
  • BRIANJ
    BRIANJ Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Old Radiator

There might be a reason that old radiator isn't connected. It could have been leaking. Check the radiator carefully for any signs of a leak, if possible do a pressure check to see if it will hold air.

My $0.02.
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    You can ...

Simply dust it off and install it, or do a wire brush and repaint it, or have it really stripped and paint it really pretty.

Be sure the angle stop and union are all in good shape and use teflon tape on the riser thread, no dope on the union and maybe just a trace of vasoline on the union threads - being careful NOT to get any vasoline that may run into the steam side of the threads.

Let us know how it goes.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    A much better

first question, Brian. Would not be the first time a radiator leaked yet it was easier to abandon it than run it down three flights of stairs. Good call, Brian. Worth double my $0.02 easily!

:)
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.