Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.


Relay itself appears nearly identical: 24V coil; SPDT contacts; similar current ratings.

Big difference I see is that the 5001 includes a 50VA 24V transformer and is quite inexpensive while the 1066 costs numerous times more and does not have the transformer.


  • Rob_15
    Rob_15 Member Posts: 8

    I have a customer who is installing a Prestige boiler.The directions are calling for a R8285d5001 relay or a equal subsitute.I want to know if he could use a RA832a-1066?All he has is 2 honeywell zones connecting to a secondary pump.
  • zeke
    zeke Member Posts: 223

    As long as you meet the 50VA and contact ratings, and UL approval, you should be good to go. Your substitute relay probably doesn't have all the marketing and sales hype built into its price.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    The R8285B...

    is gives you one set of contacts to power a pump, one set of contacts to power the boiler controls, and a 50VA transformer with ACCESS to the common side of the transformer.

    The RA832 does not have enough VA to power anything other than the relay within itself, and there is no access to the "common" side of the transformer to run the boiler controls, due to the lack of low voltage power available.

    So, if the Prestige manual is calling for the R8285B to power and operate the boiler, you need the R8285B. If , however the relay is only needed to close the thermostat connections from the boiler, and operate the pump, and the boiler has it's own transformer than either will work. If the second applies, I would use a zone valve panel instead of the transformer relays, as it makes the wiring simpler, neater, and gives more protection against electrical shorts, bu isolating each zone valve with a relay.
This discussion has been closed.