Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help! water coming out of air vent @ end of main in bsmt

JK_3
JK_3 Member Posts: 240
I beleive it sounds like it could be a blocked condensate return line. I would check this out as the symptoms sound very simalar. as the system heats up several times and the condenced water cant make it back to the boiler fast enough the low water cut-off teels the auto feeder to add more water. a second poss. is that you opened a manual feed on starting the bioler and it did not close 100% but you did not mention one. good luck.
Life is Good !! Enjoy it !!

Comments

• FHHO
    FHHO Member Posts: 6
    Help! water coming out of air vent @ end of main in bsmt

I turned on my heat (single pipe steam system) a few days ago to ensure that all is working as expected before the freezing temps are in my area.

Its been running for a few days and I notice the automatic water feeder is activated once every few hours to keep the correct water level in the boiler. I checked all of the radiators to see if steam was excaping, but all seemed to be tight; no steam leaks.

Today I heard a gurgling sound in my basement. went down there and found water pouring out of the air vent (think Hoffman 78)that is located at the end of the main line. have another one just like it on one of the mail pipes in the boiler room, seems to be at the beginning of the main.

I also noticed the sight glass that allows for viewing the water level was passed the recomended water level, but the automatic water feeder keep feeding the system.

If this scenario sounds remotely close to anyone's experience please share your response.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    This is a job for a pro

sounds like a feeder or low-water-cutoff problem. Try the Find a Professional page of this site, under "Resources" above.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.