Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clicking noise when my gas furnace cycles on

Options
ed_54
ed_54 Member Posts: 3
thanks Ken

I have propane with my own 500 gal tank -- I checked it and it is 50% full.

It is clean and dry in the cement floored basement. The house/burner is 2001

So, I am hearing from you that there is nothing a "handy" guy can really check / clean and best left to the service repair guys, right?

thanks
Ed

Comments

• ed_54
    Options
    Multiple clicking noise when gas furnace cycles on.

I noticed last night that when my gas furnace started that it would make the clicking noise as it normally does, but then shut off, and then make the clicking noise again and then finally start. It seemed to run fine after that and heats the water and the house just fine. I noticed it again this morning. I turned down the thermostat, and then turned it back up again --- the noise did not occur the first time -- but did the second time.

I am a fairly handy guy, and don't mind getting dirty, is this something I can look into myself -- or should I call my furnance repair guy. It has been a three years since its last cleaning - I must confess.

here are some tech specs on my furnace.
    Furnace is Peerless psc04stckwpc max input 110,000 btu doe htg 88,00 ratings 77,000 btu hr Taco 007f5 circ upstairs with a watt reg. Taco 007f5 circ downstairs with Sparko mixing valve on nbr 3

thanks
    Ed
  • ed_54
    Options

I did try the search button before I posted, but did not realize that it stopped at ten hits.
    I then redid my search paramter with 100 hits and found a lot more info. The click is the ignitor starting the flame in the boiler. That makes sense, so what I am hearing is that on occasion it is taking a couple of tries to light the flame.

Is there anything a do-it-yourselfer can safely try?

thanks
    Ed
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Sounds like...

Either the flame sensing circuit (gas valve, pilot mechanism, spark control module) is either seeing a weak signal, or is itself compromised/suspect.

Other than the obvious things, e.g., a loose ground, water/damp electrical compromises or a drop in gas pressure from the gas company from the recent cold snap, this would require more than just being mecahnically inclined - or "handy."

The typical culprits? Pilot, ingnitor, control module, gas valve. In that order. Hopefully, someone will diagnose the problem, and make the repair. Simply changing parts to find the "fault" is the last thing you need. And yes; something's wrong and it will not get better - unles it's pressure losses in the ground from the Gas Company. If that is the problem...

We will pray for you.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Plumb Bob
    Plumb Bob Member Posts: 97
    Options

• Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Wisdom would suggest,

that propane appliances of any description, be kept out of any place the gas cannot escape,..basements being one of them...
This discussion has been closed.