Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Drip leg or not?

Options
thanks for your help, I always use a drop header but I have seen several conterflow systems that return to the header via 45's and no htfd loop. I will drip this drip legs but the piping is going to be busy due to 3 different directions of the mains 1-north 1-east 1-west flue - south and a small area too.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=339&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Scott Kneeland
    Scott Kneeland Member Posts: 158
    Options
    Drip leg or not

Dealing with a one pipe conterflow system. House burned bad last March, builder removed boiler and most steam piping around boiler. Problem is this, I have no Idea if this had driplegs or was returning down the equalizer, I I return down the equalizer I won't have a Hartford loop and this inspector may not pass it. If I put drip legs and create a loop this will be a "busy" piping arrangement due to location of the 3 supplies.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • drip

Scot on ever counter flow steam system i have work on or installed had a drip for each steam main ,it's just the way it is ,make sure you drop them down and have a water seal on each drip and then tie them together and pipe them to your hartford loop ,you can use a drop header of sorts by bringing your branch supply up and above your existing main and elbow down put a tee for your brach main and continue the pipe down for your drip ,sorry i couldn't find a pic of one it was way before i had a digital camera and all my kodak pics are in a box somewhere peace and good luck clammy
  • counter flow

Scot most of the ones i have done i was abble to put the drips right as the mains branched out off the boiler header and drop them down i feel iknow what your saying about different direction also i really have never seem any drip back into the header most i have worked on where all original so i haven't seem any that where done in modern times so i guess i was luckly enough to see how they where suppose to be done and it was and is all i know from time to time i run into badly pipe counter flow that needed some tlc and some money to correct them but most where original i wish i had a digital camera then some of therer pping was outstanding in quality and workmanship again peace and good luck clammy
This discussion has been closed.