Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Isolate air bleed with ball valve

Dave M
Dave M Member Posts: 36
Since the air bleeder on the air scoop on a hot water boiler occasionally needs attention or replacement, is there any reason why it wouldn't be OK to put a 1/8-inch ball valve between the bleed and the scoop so that you don't have to drain off any water to change or service the bleed? As you know, they sometimes get scale or a little piece of dirt or the float might stick etc. The mini ball valves are 1/8-inch and only 1 7/8 inches long.


  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,108
    A good plan

    remember some of those air vents have a small tab sticking out of the bottom. You may need a short nipple in the valve.

    I think Raven makes a deep valve just for this purpose.

    I like the Jomar brand mini ball valves. The work well for gauges also in the 1/4" size.

    hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    That Jomar with short nip Or...

    the Caleffi ###7 with check valve which is actually Designed for the air eliminator would be the ticket.*~/:)

    Raven :) ok got to see one of those .it probably allows for a greater selection of small air eliminators.
This discussion has been closed.