Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

honeywell t8085a chronotherm

Options
And send me the old one!...I have a nice collection of old Chronotherm's

Comments

• ivy
    ivy Member Posts: 1
    Options
    honeywell t 8085a chronotherm

I am trying to find directions on how to use this thermostat currently a part of my heating system. The honeywell website didnt have any info.
    Thanks
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    It's

obsolete.It's a transformer operated analog clock.Just buy a new one.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Bill W@Honeywell
    Bill W@Honeywell Member Posts: 164
    Options
    This product is obsolete and discontinued...

A good replacement would be the VisionPro 8000, or the FocusPro 6000. The old stat has a battery in it that will wear out, and has no replacement anymore. The clock also will make noise eventually. VisionPro & Focus Pro stats are available from any heating contractor, use the "Find a Contractor" feature above.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
    Bill

I sold a lot of these"back in the day" Wasn't the 8082 battery operated and 8085 transformer operated?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    Mine are

From late '50's to '60's models, 24v. powered. Very heavy, was quality made.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

It is a very simple t'stat. If the clock still moves it can still be used. There are little blue and red pins that insert into the clock. These pins operate a lever that switches the t'stat from the higher setting to the lower setting. If you notice the two tabs on top where you set the temperature are color coded, the colors are the same for the pins. You put a red pin into the clock for when you want the temp to come up, a blue pin to drop the temp back down.

If the clock doesn't operate, the thermostat will still work, it just won't change the temps automatically.
  • Irv
    Irv Member Posts: 95
    Options
    thermostat

The clock still works.
    I currently have it set in a range from 62-68 degrees.
    I have pins at 5am-9am.What I notice is that if its lets say 8am and the system is on, the boiler will keep the temp at around 68 degrees. When does the range I set up, from 62-68 come into play? I was thinking that when it was on, it would cycle up to the high of 68, and then wait till it fell back to 62 to cycle on again.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Options

No, the 68 is for when you're home, the 62 is for at night or when you're away. The way you have it set now, I think, is the red pin turns the temp up to 68 at 5AM. This is to warm the house before you get up. Then you have a blue pin at 9AM which drops the setting back down to 62. It will stay set at 62 all day and night until 5AM when the red setting takes over again.

Most people would have a red pin set for the morning to warm the house before they get up. The at night they set the blue to cool it down for the night. Some also set an interval for when the go out to work and return at the end of the day.

• Irv
    Irv Member Posts: 95
    Options
    thermostat revised

Yes it works the way you described.The system goes to red (heating ) at 5am then maintains the temp till it turns to blue(non-heat) to 62.
    How then would you work the thermostat so that when it reached 68, it would not go back on again until it hit the low of 62?
    If the pins were off the clock, would it work in this manner??
  • Robert O'Brien
    Options
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Options

No, it doesn't work that way. It will just maintain the settings, be they higher or lower. The only way to do that is to set the pins closer, but it still won't go to the lower temp until that time comes up on the clock.

• ivy_2
    ivy_2 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    thermo

So if I understand this, the heat setting (red pin) will be maintained during the time frame I had set. The boiler will maintain a temp of 68 degrees during the "on" time until the blue (off) time comes into play?
    Also, I notice that when I take the cover off, their are some places where I could make adjustments?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Options

I think you're on the right track. The red pin engages the red temperature setting, the blue pin engages the blue temperature setting. As long as the time is set correctly, that's all you need to know. The other setting you are seeing is probably the heat anticipator and you should not mess with it.
  • ivy_3
    ivy_3 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    thermo

I'm glad we had this e-chat.I appreciate your expertise.
  • harold campbell2
    harold campbell2 Member Posts: 16
    Options
    Honeywell Chronotherm - How is time-of-day set?

Indeed, the thermostat is old but durable. It is still operating very well in my mother's house. She can't find the instructions. How is the time-of-day set? Thanks.
  • sy_3
    sy_3 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    chrono

ON My thermostat, I have hands. You can move the hands to the correct time of day and the wheel under the cover will correspond to the correct time.
  • D107
    D107 Member Posts: 1,852
    Options
    chronotherm manual

Seems like this attached manual might be useful. May not for the exact chronotherm originally mentioned, but should be of use.
  • Paul_76
    Paul_76 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Chronotherm Clock

I have an old chronotherm thermostat as well but the clock does not work. It still turns the furnace on an off but is there any hope of fixing the clock so I can have it turn down the temp at night and up in the morning.
This discussion has been closed.