Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Thermostats, Consumer Reports

Options
Tom S.
Tom S. Member Posts: 94
I am planning on putting in a digital programmable thermostat to replace a very old manual one.

I know people here seem to like the Honeywell VisionPro 8000, but a recent consumer reports article puts that well below their pick, which is the Lux Smart Temp Touch Screen TX9000TS.

Can anyone give an opinion on the Lux?

Sorry if this has been discussed, I did some searches but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Tom S.

Comments

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    I read that too!

I was amazed at LUX being in the top group. My experience is they belong off the best of anything.

More importantly was the methods used in testing. CR has no clue about what makes the Vision Pro 8000 what it is. That single feature alone makes it the very best of the best: "Anticipatory Logic."

The 8000 calculates how early it needs to begin - in order to achieve the setpoint at the programmed time. None of the others do that. IMO, the omission of that feature as a basis of comparison, so distorts the ratings, I cannot hold CR in the esteem I once did.

They compared dogs to apples.

The added expense of the anticipatory logic will pay for itself in one winter. The comfort attainable allows much tighter on/off timing and short or deep setbacks simple and effective, unlike all the rest tested.

No. I do not work for, hold no Honeywell stock and have no hidden agenda with or for Honeywell. They simply were our go-to 'stat when digital and programmed were the basic need for the application at hand.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tom S.
    Tom S. Member Posts: 94
    Options

Thanks Ken - that's the kind of info I'm looking for. We had a Honeywell (not this model though) in our old place and it served us well.

Tom
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    Not all Honeywell 'stats

are "wonderful." They make some low-end, budget driven 'stats as well. But the Vision Pro 8000 is the one we bought case-lots of since we fisrt saw what it could do. Of the 100 or so we installed, I don't think one ever came back!

I have two of four zones here in northern VT controlled by them, and do deep, night setback on those two zones. After 18 months, both sing and dance and provide whatever I ask; including a 25 day vacation, dead-of-winter setback of 20 degrees.

Great 'stat IMO

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • seabee570
    seabee570 Member Posts: 89
    Options
    t-stats

I have installed quite a few lux stats and have never had any problems...not one.......it is in my opinion, a good product for the money
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    Options
    LUX has Smart Recovery too

According to the user's manual, the LUX TX9000TS has smart recovery.

I just installed a Honeywell 8000 and I'm happy with it. This CU article was especially frustrating because there's practically no explanation of the results.

I'll take a guess as to why the results turned out the way they did. The VisionPro does not have a swing setting. You choose a cycles per hour setting and the swing is what it is. The LUX uses the traditional swing setting.

I can imagine setting up a thermostat testing apparatus that would make the Honeywell look bad at controlling temperature, even though it real life it works fine.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    We install LUX

and have had good luck. While I agree with Ken, the Honywell ( and I DO own Stock ) is a great product we found it too confusing for the everyday guy and gal.

The Lux 5-2 programmable seems to be easy to set up.

Scott " Red Sox Rule " Milne

• Rich L
    Rich L Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Lux vs Honeywell

I installed a Lux programmable at my neighbors house on a weekend a few years ago. It's what the big box store had and it worked just fine. It was a low end model and wasn't too user friendly to program. I've installed a few of the Honeywell 8000's and been very impressed. I just put in one of the 8000 IAQ and love the ability to control everything with the one stat. We wired in the HRV and the humidifier to control everything from one place, love it! I would highly recommend the 8000, but am honestly not familiar with the high end LUX.

My 2 cents worth.
  • Tom Hopkins
    Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
    Options
    speaking of thermostats...

Does Honeywell make a thermostat that has the "independent fan" feature of the Lux CAG1500?
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Another Plus

Down here, forced air rules.

I also love the VisionPro8000. The touch screen is fantastic and the programming options make it an excellent choice. The thing I like best is the 'circ' function.

The 'circ' function turns on the fan on a forced air unit for a certain number of minutes per hour. The filters the air and helps to overcome some stagnant areas in the house. I run my VisionPro8000 on the circ function all summer. The Bride doesn't handle the cool air blowing during the winter, so I turn it off that time of year.
This discussion has been closed.