Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Converting a Beckett to a waste oil burner

Options
mitchb
mitchb Member Posts: 19
to check with the appliance manufacturer it is attached to. If the unit is not approved to burn Waste oil, then you will likely have no warranty.

Had that on a older armstrong oil that was running B100. they said no can do, not approved, and the heat exchanger warr was nul and void.

Comments

• gary_6
    gary_6 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Beckett conversion to waste oil burner

Someone is selling on ebay a how to guide to convert a Beckett oil burner to a waste oil burner and they claim you casn save big $$$... Can a Beckett or other type burner ie. Carlin, Riello etc. be converted to burn waste oil???
  • Big Ed_3
    Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Waste Oil

The units that I seen use the Becket chassis , transformer ,primary relay ,motor and fan but thats it . A waste oil heater uses remote oil pumps , hydraulic filters ,series of preheaters and thermal switches ..........
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    Sounds like possible problems

typically waste oil burners have a compressed air mechanism to help atomize the spray.

As Ed mentioned good filters, and one or more pre-heaters on the oil supply are a must.

It's getting harder and harder to burn waste oils. the new syntetic types oils just don't like to burn. They have the flash point engineered so high to get extended serbvice out of the oils.

Waste oil can be a very dirty fuel. Especially if you don't have contriol of where it comes from. Water, antifreeze, paint thinners, brake fluid, you name it gets into the mix fairly often.

I see there is a bill to ban waste oil burning in Ontario, Canada. Dirty emissions, etc.

Although the bill is backed by Safety Kleen and they want the waste oil to re- use and sell. Hmmmm :)

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    ??

Waste oil typically means vehicle drain oil,and there is no way you can burn that in a Beckett if you want to do that then buy a waste oil burner.

Or, are they talking about like recycled cooking oil?? That might be possable but some of the same problems arise. I'd still just buy the tool for the job a dedicated waste oil burner,and no you can't use 1 in your house.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • coalcracker
    coalcracker Member Posts: 51
    Options

The Shenandoah waste oil burner uses a Beckett chassis, but that's the extent of it. A waste oil burner alone costs $3000. It has a heater tube, air control, remote waste oil pump (special pump) and some other things.

My company manufactures WO Boilers and I was chosen to run the prototype for 3 years to find out what bugs were in it.

If the oil is clean, meaning free of particles, water and non-burnables, the unit will run forever. We went through 30 gallons of mixed oils per day to heat one warehouse.

I probably encountered every problem you could encounter over the three years and the unit was moved to a sister plant, where the guys refused to even take it off the pallet.

They work, they burn clean, you need the special burner, and they if the oil is clean, you'll have no problems.
  • Close control,,,

of what goes in the tank is very important and this is rarely the case. Especially if the crew working there is disgruntled. I've heard some stories. For that reason alone, I stay away from them.
  • coalcracker
    coalcracker Member Posts: 51
    Options

Can you send me the link for this kit. I'd like to see it.
  • Roland_7
    Roland_7 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Waste oil burner

Waste automotive oil is loaded with carcinogens. Read the warnings on the back of oil containers concerning safe handling. Do you want to expose yourself and your neighbors to toxins? I think not. If it's waste COOKING oil, then you will need to contend with the afore mentioned heaters,pumps and other paraphinalia. Also consider that you will have to carefuly monitor your burner assembly for coking and weekly cleaning. A long way to go to save a few bucks on good old #2.
This discussion has been closed.