Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Copper

Options
coalcracker
coalcracker Member Posts: 51
To prevent oxidation, spray it with lacquer once it's shined up. That's about the only way.

Comments

• Joe Billow_6
    Joe Billow_6 Member Posts: 69
    Options

I was wondering if anyone knew a good way to clean copper pipe. I was given 20 sticks of 1" but it sat out. Inside looks good just outside is ugly. Thanks

Joe Billow
  • coalcracker
    coalcracker Member Posts: 51
    Options

There is a product called Brasso and there are other products available at a hardware store.

It's a fairly easy process, but don't know why you'd want to do it.
  • jim lockard_3
    jim lockard_3 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Catsup

you can wipe copper down with catsup. or better yet wipe you copper pipe down with boiled linseed oil that will give it a nice brown patina. Why you would want to do either one is beyond me. Best Wishes J.Lockard
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,519
    Options
    mild acid

cleans it nicely but it won't stay that way.

Condensate from a mod con does a good job. I threw some dirty old fittings into a bucket of condensate. Let them set over night.

Stuff a bunch of lengths in a 6" PVC pipe, with a cap on one end, add the cleaner of choice. Remove and hose down with plain water and install the next batch.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Joe Billow_6
    Options

I like the PVC pipe idea. Thanks I will give it a try.

Joe
  • Joe Billow_6
    Options

I tried Brasso, but with 400' it will take some time. I just like shiny new pipe when I am done. I think I will give hotrod's suggestion a try. Thanks
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    How I do it

We install whatever it is that day.

I produce a roll of mesh sandcloth.

I hand it to the "apprentice".

Voila ! The tube is shiny :)
  • Joe Billow_6
    Options

I wish I had that option. My son is the only other person and he just remembered he had to do something. I like the soak and wash treatment. Thanks Joe Billow
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Watts Radiant has

a large vibrating cleaner they use on their copper manifolds after soldering. it has a bunch of stainless steel pellets and a mild acid cleaner. The manifolds just shake around in this tub for a few hour and come out spotless and shiny.

Doesn't take long for fingerprints and truck time to turn them dark again. That's just the way copper rolls!

Someone here suggested copper spray paint to keep coop looking "copper" I tend to think that may be the only way. I've tried all types of wax, sealer, cleaners, you name it. the copper will just dull.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Joe Billow_6
    Options

I would like to find away to keep it shiny. I am just strange in that I want the finished product to be shiney and brand new even if it dulls the second I leave. Maybe your PVC trick, reduce it to 2" and use a treading machine with glass beads and the acid.

Thanks
    Joe Billow
  • hot_rod
    Options
    What's your plan for the tube?

If you will cut and solder on it for projects, I'd skip any coatings. You'll just have to sand it off to get a good solder joint. Shine and coat it after the job is completed and leak tested.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Joe Billow_6
    Options

I wont coat with anything unit i am done soldering. I am going to use the pipe on jobs so I like the acid idea because there is no problems with soldering it after the wash. I may try to prefab in my shop and coat it then, but you and others before said that most coatings do not work for the long term.
This discussion has been closed.