Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil on Underside of Burner

Options
coalcracker
coalcracker Member Posts: 51
Beckett has had a one-time problem with leaking seals, which is covered under their 5 year warranty. Also, sometimes the air tube combination isn't angled hard enough and oil will sometimes run back into the fan area. There should be silicone at the rear of the tube acting as a dam to prevent this.

Comments

• Mark_104
    Mark_104 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    OIL ON UNDERSIDE OF BURNER

When I run my hand along the underside of my Beckett AFG burner is is wet with oil. I am running a two pipe system from my tank. Does anyone know what may be causing this?
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

Make sure the gasket under the transformer is intact. If not it can cause the air to swirl so much in the burner that it actually pulls oil droplets back into the burner. There could also be a seal leak on the oil pump.
  • Mark Berry
    Mark Berry Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Try this first

I have found if you paint your blast tube with some silver paint you can tell if the oil is running back from the blast tube or if it is a pump seal problem.Let the unit run for a day and recheck it, if you see a line of oil, tip your burner assembly up slightly to let it flow into chamber area.
  • Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    Options
    It is recogmended to never paint

the Air Tube (Blast Tube) as it gives a false reading to the cad-cell eye keeping it running when it should have gone off on safety.
  • Mark Berry
    Options
    False readings

I paint almost every blast tube I service and have never had that problem. Beckett is one of the only brands to have a black air tube. Most of the others manufacturers have silver tubes. I have had some old converted units with 1800-1900 ohms cad cell phantom resets go down to 400-500-ohms with just a dab of paint. I have had one issue with a light too close to the burner causing what you say but that was from the start, only when they left the basement light on, the light shinned through the air band and kept he unit from starting.
  • Mark Berry
    Options
    Blast tube painting

I misread your thread, I do always check the safety timing on every service or service call.I have not had a non tripping control due to a silver blast tube!
  • Mark_104
    Mark_104 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    Oil on underside of burner

Thanks for all the great replies. My oil company is coming this Monday to set the boil up (I installed it a couple of weeks ago) There is a good chance that the burner is not aligned properly. As of this morning the underside of the burner was dry.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I hope you read the manufacturers directions when you installed the boiler- the part about testing for proper combustion. You should also test the low water cut-off, high limit, and primary control safety time, too. Good luck.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.