Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing radiator

Options
Tom_101
Tom_101 Member Posts: 2
Used a reciprocating saw with a metal blade for the pipe ---

Comments

• Tom_101
    Tom_101 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Removing radiator

Hello all,
    I'm removing an unused radiator from my steam system and am stuck, literally. Radiator and most of the piping to it is gone, but can't get the last bit of pipe to turn out of the female fitting it is screwed into. Leverage and a large pipe wrench haven't worked. Its an old house with i believe black iron pipes. What can be done in this situation?
    Thanks
    Tom
  • Big Ed_3
    Big Ed_3 Member Posts: 170
    Options
    Cut it Out

Cut the pipe near the wanted fitting and cut the pipe from the inside out until you reach the threads . Cut several around the radius and cave the pipe inward to remove. Then wick and dope a plug to seal off .

Tip..... Better to crack the last cast fitting and cap off ...
  • Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    Options
    I use

a Sawzall to score the pipe then beat it in ward until it spins out or until you can easily pick it out
  • aphco
    aphco Member Posts: 13
    Options

Ditto the above posts,then use a hammer and chisel to force the pieces to the center.Then try to unscrew or remove the pieces one at a time. Invest in a pipe tap and run over the threads to correct any nicked or damaged . Good luck.
  • LOOK At my Issue!! HELP..my radiator

Here is a photo of my radiator issue...suggestions? They are new tiles, obviously higher than the originals.
This discussion has been closed.