Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Taco EBV Valves

Options
ChasMan
ChasMan Member Posts: 462
Good to hear. I dont do much of this stuff so I want to get it right.

Comments

• ChasMan
    Options
    Taco EBV (Formerly ESP Valves) ok to use now?

I ordered 4 of these for a job I am doing. Did I make a mistake or have the issues been resolved with the newer versions?

Also, I like to remove the guts from valves before I sweat them in and then put the guts back? Is this possible with these valves? I guess I will find out. They should be here next week.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options
    EBV valves

Good Morning
    The EBV valves you recently purchased should work flawlessly in your system, as long as they are not exposed to extremely high ambient temperatures. Engineering has done a great job supporting the valve, and is currently modifying the power supply making it more robust ensuring the valve operates flawlessly even in the most hostile environments. As you mentioned Taco reengineered the ESP valve several years ago, and since then the valve evolved into the EBV (electronic ball valve), which is synonymous with quality like any other Taco products.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • ChasMan
    Options
    Ok

Well, after reading all of the opinions here, I am willing to give it a shot. Ambient temperatures above a boiler and 2" from a pipe with 180 degree water in it might be a little warm. Especialy in summer. So, the power supplies are failure prone at high temperatures. Not much electronic equipment likes high temperatures or extreme environments. What might be neat is a zone control panel with plug in valve smarts and then just remote the motor, gears, and valve.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

I have more than 150 of them installed in my systems without incident. I love em. Nice wiring terminals, extremely low power consumption, and ease of servicing.

You can remove the motor portion of the valve by rotating head about 45 degrees from the body. See instructions..
  • John Jr
    John Jr Member Posts: 210
    Options
    Taco EBV

I have over 400 installed with maybe only 4 or 5 heads that went bad. Heads were replaced by Taco with no problems. They stand behind their products and are willing to listen to the end use of thier products to make the product better.
  • Joe Mattiello
    Joe Mattiello Member Posts: 707
    Options

You do not have to remove the valve internals before soldering, but leaving the ball in the open position to dissipate the heat while soldering is always recommended.
    Joe Mattiello
    N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
    Taco Comfort Solutions
  • Chas
    Chas Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Valves!

Ok, I installed all four and managed not to muck them up. They are all working away. First, they make too much noise, I can hear them on the second floor. Not too bad when you get used to it but it scares the bejeebees out of the cats. One of them wont release right, After pushing the knob in for manual operation, It wont come back out unless I remove it from the valve. Its like the shaft of the valve has a burr on it. Its not the valve though because its only the head that does it. Any ideas?
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Taco EBV Valve failure

Just had a customer call me, these have been installed for 2 seasons.

This year the second floor was overheating.  Seems that the valve will open but then closes only 45 degrees, this is after some manual rotations.  The other one will open, but stays open and will not close.

Would Taco take care of something like this?  I still like them and have been installing the new zone sentry models.

Thanks,

Rob Blair   Pittsburgh Radiant LLC.
  • Rob Blair
    Rob Blair Member Posts: 227
    Options
    Taco EBV Valve failure

Just had a customer call me, these have been installed for 2 seasons.

This year the second floor was overheating.  Seems that the valve will open but then closes only 45 degrees, this is after some manual rotations.  The other one will open, but stays open and will not close.

Would Taco take care of something like this?  I still like them and have been installing the new zone sentry models.

Thanks,

Rob Blair   Pittsburgh Radiant LLC.
This discussion has been closed.