Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

register for oiltechtalk

Options
Eric_8
Eric_8 Member Posts: 66
Thanks for the clarification.

Comments

• tom_11
    tom_11 Member Posts: 58
    Options
    register

Can someone tell how to go about to register for oiltechtalk web site. thanks tom
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    Options

Go to this site

http://www.oiltechtalk.com/discuss/viewforum.php?f=1

there is a register link on the top of the page

I gotta tell you , I went there several times. Unless you ARE an oil tech, they will make you feel unwelcome. This site is way better.
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    say what?

I've never seen anyone who was not welcome. To top it off Alan also has an area for gas tech's. Tim (who is one of the best) McElwain will be more than happy to assist in any way with gas related questions...
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options

Tom, please accept my apology. I did receive your e-mail and you are most certainly welcome to be a part of Oil Tech Talk. In fact, I appreciate your interest in being a part of OTT

The web site is undergoing some construction and the link to register has been deactivated during this time. I should have responded to your e-mail sooner to explain that. Again I'm sorry I did not do that, I have been swamped with work and some travel lately.

I’ll get with you soon to get you hooked up with our friends in the industry on OTT. I truly appreciate your understanding.

You have my word that by this weekend or sooner you’ll be a registered user on OTT. Please keep in mind though that when the new OTT rolls out you’ll need to re-register. At that point there will be no delays.

Thanks again. :)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Realolman,

No argument from me, HeatingHelp.com rocks. I love this site, our host Dan and his family.

As for you feeling unwelcome at Oil Tech Talk? if you wish to post it publicly here or e-mail me I will do my best to resolve any situation that may have made you feel unwelcome. Thanks in advance for giving me the chance to make things right.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

• realolman
    Options

If you look in your archives there are several posts from me where I was given a bunch of baloney, simply because I am not a "Pro".

They wanted to act as if they would be liable or something if they gave me some information that I couldn't handle.

Baloney

They just thought someone who didn't clean oil furnaces for a living should go somewhere else, and I obliged.

This place is much better... funny thing some of the homeowners seem more knowledgable than some of the "Pros"
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

And some homeowners only think they have more knowledge. The point is, there's no way to tell. And yes, if someone gave you advice and things went wrong, in this society they could somehow be liable. On Alan's site and this one, plenty of people give the advice "ask a pro", because they are afraid someone may hurt themselves or others.

Don't look down on people because they are choosing safety over feelings. And certainly don't blame Alan and his site for things said by others in an open forum.
  • John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,246
    Options
    Realolman

I have to stick up for my friend, Alan, who has put a lot of hard work into OilTechTalk. I am neither a tech or a contractor but I have always found his site to be user friendly and the people even friendlier. If you met Alan and the many people who have be touched by OilTechTalk, I have no doubt that you would form a different opinion.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    OTT

I think that you are taking things a little too seriouly. You need to give these guys a little elbow room. While I agree that from time to time someone will be a little "sassy" or try to be funny with some answers, we work together alot and have a lot of fun "jabbing" each other, all in the name of try to keep some sanity in our work day. Sometimes someone gets a little carried away and lets their fingers get ahead of our brains. For that we apologize. Those of us who use these sites are the kind of guys that enjoy sharing what we know, both within and outside of the industry. Thank you for the wake up call. Maybe some of the guys out there need it.....we will try harder, right guys??
    Give Alan and his site another try. He truly is one of the really good guys in our industry
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Guys, don’t get me wrong I truly appreciate the kind words and support but please lets not make more of this then we need to. The gentleman voiced his opinion, I respect that I’m addressing it and I much rather see us spend our energy doing what we do best. Sharing knowledge!

Thanks again for your support and understanding.

Your friend in the industry,
    Alan R. Mercurio

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

I think Paul summed it up best (thanks Paul)and said basically what I was going to say. The only thing I have to add to that is, I apologize that your experiences at Oil Tech Talk were less than pleasant. Thank you for your candidness and the time you took to respond.

Alan R. Mercurio

• Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Tom, Your account has been activated. :)

Alan R. Mercurio

• Eric_8
    Options

Are you saying that you, as a homeowner, were made to feel unwelcome?

Or was it that you, as a professional in the heating trades, although not in the oil business, were made to feel unwelcome?

Just trying to understand here.
  • realolman
    Options

As a homeowner. It was pointed out to me that the name of the forum was Oil TECH talk.

No doubt there are decent guys there... .

I had dialog with them. I've seen some of them here.

I also know there are guys there who resent homeowners being there. I had dialog with them too.

I am an industrial mechanic. I work with some serious fire breathers. Just because my perspective may differ from the oil burner tech, doesn't make either one invalid... but you do have to try to understand the other person's point. .. not just try to discredit him because he's not an oil tech "pro".

I don't buy the liability thing... my goodness it's all anonymous who knows who... Is there one documented case of liability?
  • realolman
    Options

Alan gives every indication of being a fine person.... I have no intention of setting electronic foot back on his site though...

I know when I'm not wanted....It's much better here.

I actually got private emails agreeing with me... I wish they would have posted here.
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

I really hope there's no documented case of liability. But I know it will happen. Where I live, the gold coast of CT, people will sue for anything. It boggles the mind sometimes. I can't count the number of times I heard the question "Did you sue them?" and this is for something stupid like a scratch on their custom made mail box.

I wish you'd give OTT another chance. Glad you're here at least.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

I feel fortunate when someone gives me info or advice for free. What other industries and professions have helpful websites like Heathelp.com & Oil Tech Talk? Not too many. You can't force someone to give you advice for free when they make their livelihood from that info. I would just feel lucky with what you do receive. Want some more info? Get a job in the field. There's nothing like experience.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

The one thing that scares me about what you're saying reolman, it doesn't seem like you have a respect for the equipment and what could happen if you make a mistake while working on it. Yes, liability is a big issue these days. All (hopefully) working in the business professionally have CGL insurance. As more and more homeowners try to save money by working on their own equipment, more accidents will occur. I've seen plenty of scary situations. How many homeowners have access to a combustion analyzer? Quick story- Painter working in a powerhouse spraying water from a hose dumps the water on top of 13.8 KV transformers. Luckily no one was hurt. The painter didn't know the substation was in a room below him. He thought the grate the water was going into was a floor drain. It wasn't. Accidents happen.
  • radioconnection_2
    Options
    homeowners

Some homeowners do own combustion analyzers, smoke pumps and pressure gauges. Some of us even had training in past lives and have respect for the equipment and dangers.
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    Radioconnection said

Radioconnection said, "Some homeowners do own combustion analyzers, smoke pumps and pressure gauges. Some of us even had training in past lives and have respect for the equipment and dangers."

This is the exception rather than the rule. Over the net I am reluctant to give information to someone that I don't know their abilities. In person you get a feel for someone's ability and go from there. I know a lot of mechanical people who can pick right up on things, others aren't quite so talented.

Leo
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    i am interested in getting one of your books ...

that you have had printed ,Al. on oil burners and new combustion technologies...nothing like keep abreast of the times:)
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Weezbo, Thanks for asking. I'll e-mail you a link.

Alan R. Mercurio

• [Deleted User]
    Options

There's always an exception to a generalization. How many times have I been on heatinghelp.com or OTT and a homeowner is asking a question that if you had a clue you wouldn't be asking. Like- why is it everytime I test the transformer it takes a week to get the feeling back in my hand? Or- The pipe that hangs down in the back of my boiler was dripping so I put a plug in it. What caused it to leak? Or- My burner wouldn't start so I bought some parts and after about $600 in parts I fixed it. I don't know why you guys charge so much. Anybody could do this.
    And then you have the occasional person that worked in the field once upon a time. But anybody that has worked in the field has seen some scary stuff done by homeowners trying to save a buck. There's no way to tell who's who on the internet. I apologize to any experienced, safety respecting homeowner that may have been offended.
  • realolman
    Options

SO at OTT you have a place for yourselves and don't need to talk to the lowly homeowner.

Are you not a homeowner? What do you think homeowners do for a living... Light matches in romms full of gasoline?

I work as an industrial mechanic. Electricity, flame supervision, gas and oil combustion, heat recovery, pre heating combustion air, modulation , wafer valves, pneumatics, airmotors, ratiotrols, pumps, pressure, processes, efficiency, welding ,cutting,drafting, fabrication, electronics, computers... What would you like to talk about ? Talk to me about the merits of what I'm trying to discuss. I'll try to keep up.

The safety thing is pretty thin.
    You're concerned about safety and you won't tell the guy why he's getting shocked by his transformer??? You think you shouldn't tell the guy to un-plug his pop off? Or are those things in your imagination?

No one's ever had a contractor not show up when he's supposed to, and never call, or send some dipstick down who doesn't know his anus from his elbow, and charge 80 bucks an hour for him.

I been trying for two months to get a roofing contractor to give me a price on doing my roof. Out of 4 who said they'd be there, 1 showed up to give me an estimate. And I haven't gotten it yet.

Last boiler I got, the guy was supposed to bring it down and install it... After 3 trips to his house and 3- 4 to his shop, I ended up going to his shop and getting it in my truck and putting the d@^^thing in myself....

I can't imagine why anyone would try to do anything himself.

Yeah I'm P!$$&) Off

You don't have to post or respond to anyone if you don't want... The day I left OTT they were all lining up to go to some other site that was going to be screened so homeowners wouldn't be allowed... Do you want us to get off of Heating Help too?

How many places do you need to complain about your customers?

I guess this is the bottom line... DO you want homeowners on Heating Help or not?
  • radioconnection_2
    Options
    On the otherhand

I can understand where they are coming from..

First, it is their livelihood, so I figure they don't "owe" anyone free advice. If they help, I certainly appreciate whatever knowledge they share with us. I like to learn new skills and the right way to do things. I've never been made to feel unwelcome on OTT, and Alan is a true gentleman's gentleman. But, I try not to step on toes either.

One guy on a DIY forum asked how he could re-install his gas water heater sideways under a crawlspace to facilitate a remodeling project. That is scary stuff.

Pete
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Okay

Let's talk medicine, cause I think you're having a stroke :)

Chill out. You're PO'd at contractors who blew off your needs and taking it out on the ones here and at OTT. How does anyone know that what you say is true, anymore than what we say is true ? Think about it.

Maybe my advice is boneheaded and your burner puffed back because of it, covering your linens with the hardest stuff to remove you've ever dealt with. Would you be PO'd then ? Of course. Could you track me down ? You bet. Are there people in your workplace you wouldn't let try your job for fear of the consequences ? Would you give someone advice over the net that could ruin equipment in a factory like you work in ? Especially if you didn't know them or their true abilities ? I bet not.

Think about what you're asking for and complaining about in more than just your own personal context. When you realize that others may be reading what is written to you and trying it also and hurting people through their own incompetence you might understand why public forums are not the place for certain information. When you've spent 20+ years dealing with the public in a service business, not in a factory, you can tell us who have all about the abilities of homeowners to fix their own equipment properly with just a little advice on the internet. There are some real doozies out there, and the internet can mask them for quite a while.
  • Eric_8
    Options

I can tell you exactly what to do to fix all those rude pros. I mean, if you follow my advice they will change right before your eyes.

Ready?

You sure?

OK, here's how. Lose the attitude.

I am speaking strictly for myself, but as far as I am concerned, homeowners are more than welcome here. Attitudes like you have aren't.

Dude, I was here wayyyyyy back when. Was a regular. Used to stop at the library after work and on my lunch hour to hang out here. Back when it was www.danholohan.com. So even though I may seem like a newbie, my roots here go way back.

And I can tell you, homeowners without the chip on their shoulder were almost always treated with respect. Respect us pros and we will open the floodgates of our knowledge for you. Knowledge we EARNED! And we will give it to you for free.

But come in any professional forum with a chip on your shoulder at the pros and you will receive the cold shoulder such attitudes deserve.

And you just admitted to have an rotten attitude towards the pros from the get go.

In my opinion, you owe Alan Mercurio an apology. He has more decency and integrity in his little finger than most people have in their whole body. He doesn't deserve the dissing you gave his website.

• [Deleted User]
    Options

Reolman I'm not able to understand why you're so upset because I don't know what was said to you on OTT. Some people are rude or blunt, but that's not just on OTT- that's everywhere. My issue is that it seems you think you are entitled to information just because you make an appearance on these sites. Like I said before, if you've seen what some of us techs have seen out in the field you would know I'm not making up those scenarios. I too work in an industrial setting- pharmacuetical co- and I'm scared of some of the guys I work with based on what they said they've done at home. One guy ran a gas line with compression fittings. I also worked at an oil and LP co. so I have that background as well. Good luck and don't lose sleep over it. Start a new website - Homeownerhelp.com
  • realolman
    Options
    You're right I got an attitude

The drivel about the homewowner not knowing why his hand hurts? Why was his pressure valve leaking.?!?

Are you going to tell me that's not an attitude toward homeowners? Why would a homeowner not have every right to be just as insulted as any of the "pros"?

Are you telling me that contractors not showing up never happens? That I'm lying about that?

Any time someone is discriminated against and is able to prove, point by point, that he is just as worthy as the other person, then the last reason is always because he is argumentative.

You don't ever to answer anything for me or anyone else. I don't believe I am entitltled to anything like that. But, spare me the homeowner garbage...Yeah, that'll give me an attitude... real quick.

What I am talking about is the attitude by some of the "pros" that their knowledge is jus to dangerous for a mere homeowner to handle. hogwash. If you think that just don't post.

What?..The fires and the pumps and what not are different in the factory than out here in real life?? The difference in the factory is we probably would mount the thing sideways after tearing it apart and modifying it to do so.

You think I owe Alan Mercurio an apology? I don't...I don't recall him expressing that homeowners were welcome at OTT. He was all in favor of this other site screening homeowners out... hey that's all well and good and everyone involved's prerogative, but no one needs to expect me to like it, or recommend it...I believe I have (even as a lowly homeowner ) the right to diss it .

I think you owe me an apology.... now what?
  • Eric_8
    Options

I have nothing further to say sir, other than I hope you find peace.
  • realolman
    Options
    You too.

God bless you.

God bless all of us.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Read the thread just below this one. It's about a relief valve blowing off. The homeowner is trying to fix it. And no- a water tube boiler running 350f @ 275# is a bit different than the one in your home I can assure you. The pumps that distribute water throughout the campus that have chilled water to cool the bearings- not found in your typical home. Triple redundancy- not found in your home. This is what also allows guys that don't understand how to fix it, to shutit off and wait for someone that does. Lockout/tagout- no. When you work on 4-8 different systems in a day, each with their own quirks, that's a lot different than a powerplant setting. There are no plans to refer to in these homes. No BAS computer to look at either. You can complain or take action. Your choice. Start your own website and run it the way you want. Call it Meagainsttheworld.com
  • realolman
    Options
    I believe

the order changes according to the posted responses.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

If you're refering to the thread I mentioned, it's titled "High pressure in Hot Water Furnace". I think it's a good example of how we try to help point a homeowner in the right direction. It became apparent that the homeowner was in over his head. Maybe you could help him.
  • realolman
    Options
    Yeah

I'm the only one with an attitude.

If you'd care to, I believe I could discuss the thread that you mentioned civilly and rationally with you.

Interested?
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Options

Realolman; I don't recall him expressing that homeowners were welcome at OTT.

Please Click Here and Read This

Realolman; He was all in favor of this other site screening homeowners out...

In favor or was I just respecting the decision of the host as I would on any web site?

I’m respectfully offering these responses and truly hope they clarify the truth about myself and oil tech talk.

Alan R. Mercurio

• [Deleted User]
    Options

I read your message Alan. Well said. I apologize to reolman if I gave an attitude.
  • realolman
    Options
    I have no doubt

Alan, I have no doubt that you are sincere with the best of intentions in what you do and what you have written. I ask you and others to give me the same open mind and heart consideration.

I feel that I am just as sincere, and just as well intentioned as you. My problem in this particular subject is that I express a viewpoint that is largely unpopular to many of the participants in these forums.

I cannot read what you have written about your site without getting the impression that the site is indeed intended for "Techs" and that they are the first class citizens of the realm and the homeowners are the "guests" and of a lesser status. Benevolence toward the "guests" does not equal respect, no matter how well intentioned, or well framed and spoken. It is the implicit one sided knowledge and charity to which I object.

I think that because you speak from the heart, and often in terms of Christianity, many of the participants feel entitled to take a superior feeling position toward the second class citizen Homeowner.

I respect your right to operate the site in any manner you choose, and I have chosen not to frequent it, because of the reasons I just mentioned.

I have never felt that way here at this site. I have felt that homeowners are welcome here... perhaps I am wrong, but I still feel that way.

I do not intend to offend you or anyone else. I apologize for having been offensive. However my opinion is the same.
  • realolman
    Options
    no need

I apologize as well.... attitudes all around.

This discussion has been closed.