Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Noise

Options
Apparently, you have velocity issues; and you validated my assessment by closing down on a ball valve slowing down the flow which resolved the noise concerns. Additionally, high velocity can contribute to erosion issues.
Joe Mattiello
N. E. Regional Manger, Commercial Products
Taco Comfort Solutions

Comments

• Steve_163
    Steve_163 Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Pipe Noise

I have a new installation that is creating a noise throughout the system shortly after the circulator starts.
    Taco 007/ supply side pump / 2 3/4 zones / Spiro vent / baseboard heat.
    The noise will stop if I shut off ball valve on one return.
    Systen press 12 lb. ???
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Respectfully, another view

I see closing of one of the ball valves as increasing the flow in the remaining zones. Consider as an extreme if one closed all but one zone, the velocity would rise in the remaining zone.

If the velocity was caused in the one zone you throttled, that may be part of it, perhaps the one zone with less resistance (hence more flow) than the others.
    That it is "throughout" tells me it *might* be velocity at some level (water transmits that pretty well, being incompressible), thus causing vibration. But I would want to know more.

I would need more information, starting with, "What does the noise sound like?". Rushing water? Gurgling air? Creaking? Show tunes by a Judy Garland impersonator?

That the noise starts "shortly after" as opposed to "immediately after" (if there is a difference in terms here) has me thinking that it might be a function of expansion noises. What temperature is being run?

Again, only guessing without narrowing down the type of noise and time from circulator start-up.

Just another view of things, that's all.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • John White
    John White Member Posts: 120
    Options
    noise

Abit less techy...how about harmonics? Pipes touching anywhere?? Just a thought. jw
This discussion has been closed.