Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

customers doing homework...

Options
If oil, I'd go with a 3-pass boiler. Not sure if Crown or Peerless offer these, but W-M's Ultra Oil is 3-pass as are the Burnham MPO, Slant/Fin Eutectic, Biasi, Solaia and others. Also the Buderus and Viessmann but it doesn't sound like he's going to spend that kind of money.

For gas, if you have to vent thru a chimney, a wet-base (oil-type) boiler with a power gas burner will be more efficient than an atmospheric boiler, and will allow the owner to switch fuels without buying a new boiler if the gas utility jacks prices way up. Of the boilers mentioned above, to my knowledge only the Solaia offers this option.

If you can vent thru the sidewall in an approved location well above the maximum recorded snow accumulation, you have a lot more options.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

So my next job is an older home with CI rads. (HW system) Load is about 160K and he will be adding an attic finish and a basement finish. After doing his homework, he cannot decide between Weil Mclane or Crown or Peerless CI boilers, or if he should go Laars low mass. Is there a rule of thumb on when to go finn boiler? Any opinions on brand out there? I like crown, but I do not have 30+ yrs in the trade.

Thanks Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    If they can switch to gas

Id' look at a modulating condensing boiler with outdoor reset. A little more homework up front - but will pay huge dividens.

The best of the best: Viesmann Vitodens 200 and at this size you will not need P/S and can run it direct (and depending on piping you can either put RTV's on each radiator for a 2 pipe system, or use the RS Sensor - thermostat for a Monoflo T system). Viessman does offer a Vitodens 100 for less money and without the built in controls (you will have to add a control box, etc).

Next option: Triangle tube Prestige.

Perry (Homeowner)
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,200
    Options
    Is a mod con out of the question?

I can't think of too many places where an atmospheric cast or copper would be a better choice for a gas fired hydronic system.

A few mod con benefits

Outdoor reset, modulating, higher efficiency. no b-vent...
    And the biggest is no need for two 40 square inch combustion air openings into the mechanical space required by code in your area for that size boiler :)

I suspect in many case as much heat leaves those combustion air grill as goes into the structure. I've seen them with snow drifts inside the mechanical room. old world think...

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

I should have mentioned, nat gas. No oil in SLC. Boiler is in basement, and I will have to check the vent options. I am certain I have chimney access, but not sure of side wall location. Boiler is now a orig snowman, converted to gas. HO is pretty tight, and has shopped many boilers, and decided on atmospheric even though I have not yet priced even sealed combustion units. He will go with an indirect, 'eventually'. I find most HO's see the difference between the current boiler and the basic 83% unit, and feel that with an ODR, they find the happy medium just prior to spending the big $$$. These homes I work in are typically $500K or so. I have yet to sell a 90%er when their bill drops in half with an 83%er. Maybe if I was replacing an existing atmospheric, but not replacing the snowman. My last issue is boiler size. I may need a small unit to get down the looong, narrow stairs to the basement through the house...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
This discussion has been closed.