Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Where to find the right insulation?

Options
Daniel_3
Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
Thanks Brad. I'll stop by Homey's =)

Comments

• Daniel_3
    Daniel_3 Member Posts: 543
    Options

Having just finished the boiler install not too long ago I still need to insulate all the near boiler piping and some new 2" sections. I had heard that someone here (Gerry?) uses foam and that seems like a cheaper and cleaner way to go.

Being a drop header there are several turns that need a tight dressing up. I really don't wanna use the fiberglass (which is super thin) from Lowes or Home Depot. The local plumbing supply probably has some thicker but at a high price.

What are thou thoughts?
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Homan's Associates

Hi Daniel,

Knowing that you are in the Boston area from time to time, Homan's Associates stocks moulded fiberglass in the sizes you would need. Absent a trip to Homan's (they have several locations, maybe even near Worcester), you can get insulation through the Boston Building Materials Cooperative in Roxbury near RCC. Not too far from the B.I. They can order it for you in the thickness you need.

For thickness, 1.5 inch thickness up to 1.5 inch pipe size and 2" over that is the energy code.

There is a higher temperature foam (Armaflex I believe) but I have never used it. With that one exception, foam should be out of the question on a steam system. I do not know where to get that foam or anything more about it, but the folks at Homan's may know or even carry it.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.