Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Need help redesigning steam/FHW system

I need an aquastat to limit my steamer to 180 when there's a call for FHW or DHW. Any particular model recommended for this? Where does it usually get installed? I have a Dunkirk ES1.35 with a tankless coil (not used) and the hot water zones use a tapping in this plate. Seems like a good candidate to me.

Any recommendations on a DHW indirect circulator that'll push 10gpm at 8.7' head through 1" pipe? I looked at Taco and Grundfos and found a few that'll work. Should I get an integral flow check? If not I'll need to add the check valve's loss to that 8.7'.

I need to install roughly 8000 BTUs of baseboard or panels in a new 2nd story (20' above water line with panels). With the boiler in the basement, is there a better way to go than using boiler water? I'd be up for purchasing a tank & echanger setup. There's currently a small addition being heated by a FHW zone using boiler water and it's always been problematic. I'd like to do the FHW zones the *right* way (more steam is out).

Many thanks for whatever guidance you can give.



  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929

    I use Honeyell immersion aquastats with good results. I would recommend a tank type heat exchanger for the FHW and use a bronze pump without flow check between the boiler and the tank. I don't think a standard IFC pump internal flow check would stand up to the higher temp for very long.
This discussion has been closed.