Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burner fouls after oil delivery

Options
We have a recurring problem with the burner fouling after oil is delivered. Burner was professionally cleaned and serviced several times last season, but problem keeps happening. Always right after oil delivery.

Comments

• Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

What's happening is that the tank is stirred when the oil is delivered. Sludge, which is what we call it, is a naturally occurring sediment in the bottom of the tank. The choices are: Shut off the unit for a few hours when you get a delivery or get the tank cleaned or replaced, depending on it's age.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Also

there should be a filter on the oil feed line to catch the sludge. If there is none, have one installed. If there is, maybe the cartridge needs to be changed or a larger filter installed.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Leo
    Leo Member Posts: 770
    Options
    I've seen a lot

I've seen a lot of people run out of oil and not plug up the filter after priming the system. If your tank is over 30 years old it may be time to replace it. If under it may need an extensive chemical treatment. Often times tanks should be replaced but for some reason people are reluctant to do it.

Leo
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

I used to deliver oil, and found this alot. Call your oil company and get them to put some "Hot" into tank before next delivery. Also tell them to put truck pump on SLOW to fill your tank. My truck used to pump 60-65 gallons a minute on high and 25-30 on slow. This makes a hugh difference in stirring up sludge.
This discussion has been closed.