Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buyer's remorse....

Options
ScottMP
ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
Take a deep breath and fell comfortable that you've installed a great system.

Your installers correct, you Can Over think a system. Oneof the hardest things for an installer to do is .. pick the layout and go with it. An installer can waste valuable time thinking about where a pipe or valve will go. There are ten ways to go and they are all correct.

The New Grundfos will be a great pump but systems installed five years ago are not wrong because they don't have the newer equipment.

In with the good air ... out with the bad ..... easy does it.

Scott

PS: I think you have the same affliction my wife has.. its call analysis-paralysis.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=237&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Jason_29
    Jason_29 Member Posts: 29
    Options
    Buyer's remorse....

Someone please tell me that the Grundfos Alpha+ circulator is NOT available here in the US. Or, at least tell me that it wouldn't make my system any more efficient than it is.

After many months of agonizing research and lots of great help from The Wall, I finally decided on the Prestige 110 with Phase3 piped directly to an 8 spot manifold with press diff valve serving 30,000 btu of trv'd oversized flat panels, running constant circ at 160 degrees with outdoor reset and no inside thermostat. PHEW!

Bob, my very patient installer last week told me he couldn't be at the site last Tuesday because he would be at REX. He said I couldn't go, because if I did, I'd learn about all sorts of new and even more trick and efficient ways to heat my house.

He was right. After reading your recent (and past) posts about these great new circulators, I'm wondering if one might squeeze just a little more out of the system. Mr. Siggy and others including Bob, seem to think that my system is the way to go. For the extra $150 (based on the price in British Pounds) I'd love to make it even better.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Jason
  • Jason_29
    Options

Maybe buyer's remorse was too harsh a term. I'm totally comfortable with the choice of system. I'm looking forward to nice comfortable cheap heat.

I'm just wondering if the variable circulator will add to the fabulousity of what we'll have.

It's like the LG ArtCool setup I'd like for a/c. The inverter technology is available in the UK, but here, it's still the 2 stage, older technology.

Thanks again,

Jason
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    Options
    A/C

get a Mitsubishi A/c instead . Inverter tech available for over a year and they are quieter and better supported than LG.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mark_7
    Mark_7 Member Posts: 123
    Options
    a/c

Fujitsu has inverter tech. also been around for awhile.
  • Jason_29
    Options

Thanks for the ac tips... I've researched this too, and will use a mitsu ceiling cassette unit with a take-off to a second bedroom upstairs.

Unfortunately, I detest the look of the wall hung units, and since the rooms are pretty small, the ArtCool units would be pretty nice. I can wait for the technology to catch up downstairs.

Jason
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    low power consumption circs

how many circs do you have on your system? If it is only one and a low wattage pump, say 80W or less, i'm not sure a ECM pump would be worth the money?

What is the pump spec for your job? It's may be possible to flow your system with 40, 20, or even less wattage. i did a demo in my shop with an Alpha pro running a 17 watt draw. Pumping as much as the 78 W circ it replaced!

ideally you would calc the number of hours of run time and the cost of your electricity to determine the pay-back.

The only Grundfos alphas I have seen are the Euro versions with a 230V motor. That voltage requirement may add some complexity to your system.

Wilo has ECM circs on the market currently in the U.S. Not sure about $$$. Laing may be here by years end.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich Kontny_5
    Rich Kontny_5 Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Have we....

Plateaued with our energy efficient heat sources to the point of looking at more efficient pumping methods? Seems like the next logical step in the way things are evolving.

Then comes the ever increasing interest in the "Green Movement" not just energy concerns but environmentally friendly manufacturing.

We constantly learn don't we?
  • Jason_29
    Options

Just the pump that comes with the Prestige. It's not the wattage draw I'm wondering about, it's whether the modulated circulation would help the boiler condense more.

It seems like it would, based on my very limited understanding of how a condensing boiler condenses. With 30,000 btu of heat loss and panel rads oversized 30% to run 160 degree water, I'm just wondering if we can squeeze any more performance out of the setup.

Thanks again,

Jason
This discussion has been closed.