Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Getting cussed out

Options
jalcoplumb_7
jalcoplumb_7 Member Posts: 62

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Soundly cussed at

By a 1.5 ounce bird.

A hummingbird.

Someone said a while back that a hummingbird's vocabulary consists of 99% curse words and listening to them, I can agree.

I have a pork loin on the smoker (charcoal and Bradford pear wood) and have to add charcoal and water-soaked wood every so often. I get soundly fussed at by the tiny Ruby-throated hummingbird virtually every time I go outside. He (she?) has staked out our feeder as it's own property and chases every other 'hummer' away and gives some of the other birds a run. It even attempts to chase me away!

As I type this, it's sitting on the 'hoop' of the feeder surveying it's territory. Woe be the critter that strays too close.

Amazing....

Edited to add full size picture of the beast surveying it's domain....
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Jeff,

After watching a few sparrows in a window well that I forgot to close last Spring....I know just how protective Mama bird CAN be.(Heck, she used to peck the window when I walked by!)

Our esteemed host...a bird watcher by default.... and the fact that "it's there", congratulated me for both watching...and seeing the miracles that ARE birds. He also gave me some sage advice.....and I quote..."NOW,you get it!".

If Mama ain't happy, no ones happy! Chris.

P.S. Mr Chris Payson says hello! JCA.
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    Hey Jeff

maybe a little smoked breast would handle that problem.

I'd rather here more about that smoked loin. Makes me want to take a trip down south. MMMmmmm Smoker ..

Missed you at the Rex Show. Jeff and I were talking about the Parade in Baltimore.

Scott

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Wayco Wayne_2
    Wayco Wayne_2 Member Posts: 2,479
    Options
    Them Hummingbirds are fast

I'd be wearing a catchers mask when I go out to check the grill. I'd also bring along a Tennis racket along with the Spatula. :) WW

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,306
    Options
    An interesting thing...

...happens when you get a lot of hummers. No one bird can chase away all the rest, so they quit chasing and decide to get along! Fun. ;~)
  • jalcoplumb_7
    Options

This little guy has build a home under one of our 100,000 gal water tanks.

Not sure what he is but sure looks nice.

• jalcoplumb_7
    Options

This little guy has build a home under one of our 100,000 gal water tanks.

Not sure what he is but sure looks nice.

This discussion has been closed.