Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Our first EK install ( Ron Jr. )

Options
Tom Hopkins
Tom Hopkins Member Posts: 554
as usual.Did you use outside air?If you didn't, wait until you hear it with!Or more accurately don't hear it! So what do think of EK?

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=313&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• What a doozie of a spot

for our first crack at the stackable System 2000 . These homes have a little cubby in the kitchen for the original Timken boiler ( they still had the jacket ) . Behind the jacket was a Weil Mclain 368 . This install all started because the chimney lining deteriorated so bad they needed a whole new one . The homeowner originally wanted a price for us to move the boiler out while the chimney was repaired , then come back and reinstall the old equipment . Our salesman gave her a much , much better option .
  • Stackable EK and aquabooster

Not our best pipe work , but almost everything is more or less accesible . I would have piped the PRV where we can get to it easier , but there was too much to be done in one day to second guess . If the expansion tank is removed , getting to the PRV is easy if you got a step-ladder or if you're 6 foot 11 .

And the sound ? All of us - me , Phil , Sal , our salesman , the homeowner .... were amazed at how quiet it runs . It's easily the most quiet oil boiler I've installed . A real definite plus in this cubby that is between the kitchen and living room .

I wanted to time the heatup of the aquabooster but forgot . It did seem pretty quick , at least as quick as the indirect brands we use . We have another EK and 80 gallon aquabooster going in a few weeks , I'll time that one if my brain cells kick in that day .

Many thanks to our EK rep , Bill McElwee , for taking time to walk us through the install . He gave us a few pointers that saved us time and slipped discs .
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Another outstanding job

in the closet Ron :)

You and your crew are clearly the masters of tiny spaces. Ever do submarine work? I would be surprised if not...

Your "not our best work" puts average work in these parts to shame.

Thanks for setting and keeping high standards in small places and at Mach speeds. Thanks for sharing!
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    Nice

> as usual.Did you use outside air?If you didn't,

> wait until you hear it with!Or more accurately

> don't hear it! So what do think of EK?

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 313&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

What's the plunger for? :)

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Absolutley awesome Ron,

as Robert says, your usual! Not sure how you find these great clients , but you are the King!

Dave
  • Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Options
    I must say,

That's about as good as it gets folks.

Anybody can work in closets. We've all done it. Anybody can do "nice." We've all done that as well.

I have never seen better work combining the two issues in a single case.

Ron does it every time!

Think about that for a minute.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    Options
    another masterpiece

Ron, you must deliberatly seek out the most impossible installation locations, hehe..but you always pull it off..well done again!

gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
    I think about it

everytime I see the mans work. I am running out of superlatives !

Its not just the work its the locations also.

I will say it AGAIN why has no one done an Article on this guy !!

Ron you deserve recognition.

Scott

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Article?

Yes an article but also a Time Lapse Video, unless of course, it gives up trade secrets....
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • lchmb
    lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
    Options
    no doubt

I have no doubt there's a joke hidden in there someplace. :) Nice job per the norm Ron, they will love how quiet that system is and the fuel saving's wont hurt either..
  • Bruce Stevens
    Bruce Stevens Member Posts: 133
    Options
    As long as Ron

doesn't come out of the closet his customers will be safe. Excellent job as usual Ron.
  • We were a little worried

because we saw pics of the old boiler without the new chimney breech . Thought we had to chop that too before the boiler could be shoved in . That woulda definitely pushed this job into 2 days.

Nope , too claustrophobic to be on a sub . Kinda ironic that most of our jobs are in cubbyholes , but that's the nature of the beast on Long Island . Thanks alot Brad .
  • Robert

The homeonwer is doing some renovating and the contractor is supposed to run a PVC pipe into the room . Does that really cut the noise down more than it is without the pipe ?

The EK is a pretty slick piece of equipment . Extremely fast temp rise on the boiler while making hot water , maybe 1 degree per second or 2 ? Another thing I gotta time on the next job . I also like the 4 inch flue size - took us all of 3 minutes to size , cut and fit it to the breech .

Being a knockdown boilerman for years , I would like the option of piping the system up to meet the situation of individual homes . Like this one , I woulda piped the circ , PRV , relief valve and expansion tank more to the front for easier access . But that's just a minor point - as is it ain't so bad to change those items . The prebuilt boiler did save us probably close to an hour of prep work . I also have to find a way to neaten out all those low voltage connections that go into the sides of the circuit board .

I'm going to see if we can track the fuel use on this job . They're a new customer to us so we don't have any data on the home . But we do have plenty of accounts with identical homes in that town .

Thanks Robert .
  • Dave

This is the normal space for heating appliances on L.I. Actually , they changed the layout of the kitchen because there was more room in this home for the boiler than other identical homes . I'll see if I have a pic of the normal size we get to work in .

Thanks alot Dave .
  • Ken

Thanks so much for your kind words , buddy . Being our first EK , I definitely wanted to make it look as good as possible to post here . I just wish we had a bit more time so I coulda made the domestic pipes square . I also would've extended the oil line connections to under the burner for easier disconnection , but at that time all 3 of us were not thinking straight . The house was hot ... the room was an oven . But the homeowner was fantastic . She offered us cold and hot drinks , lunch and a very generous tip .

Thanks again Ken .
  • The article

I've let my superiors know about the idea of an article and am waiting for the OK . But just reading the kind words from guys like you Scott is all the recognition I need . I can't go on a boiler job anymore without thinking " how will this look in a pic and on The Wall ? " .

Thanks alot Scott .
  • Gerry

this had been a 10 year rude awakening for me with these tight spots .

My first 10 years was mainly NYC steamer replacements . Big , wide open basements . The downside is my back is shot from all that iron humping :)

This past 10 years have been easier on the back and my work is closer to home , but of course there's always a tradeoff .

Thanks Gerry .
  • \" Not that there's anything wrong with that \"

Classic episode . What was that line from Stripes ? " We're not gay , but we're willing to learn "

Thanks guys - Matt , lchmb and Bruce .
  • Howard Emerson
    Howard Emerson Member Posts: 111
    Options
    First EK install

"The homeonwer is doing some renovating and the contractor is supposed to run a PVC pipe into the room . Does that really cut the noise down more than it is without the pipe ? "

Hey Ron,
    Yes, it really does cut down on the noise! Without the box itself over the burner, it's pretty quiet in terms of the low frequency rumble that is normally experienced.

The box cover brings that noise down to where, as you heard, there's just a 'swishing' noise of air being pulled, like a vacuum hose without the motor noise, kind of.

The outside air hookup then brings it to another point altogether.

Rob O'Brian did our EK install almost a year ago, and he came by to give our oil company tech some pointers regarding the EK.

The tech had never heard such a quiet system.

Speaking of 'almost a year', I'll be posting the fuel usage next month when the year is up, but it's way, way down as it is...........

Regards,
    Howard Emerson

• Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    You never forget your first

> for our first crack at the stackable System 2000

> . These homes have a little cubby in the kitchen

> for the original Timken boiler ( they still had

> the jacket ) . Behind the jacket was a Weil

> Mclain 368 . This install all started because the

> chimney lining deteriorated so bad they needed a

> whole new one . The homeowner originally wanted a

> price for us to move the boiler out while the

> chimney was repaired , then come back and

> reinstall the old equipment . Our salesman gave

> her a much , much better option .

Very nice looking job.The only suggestion would be to use the U.L. approved flexible oil lines next time around. It makes it much easier to service, less chance of a leak (or suction leak) when you swing the front down to clean.
  • Alan_11
    Alan_11 Member Posts: 64
    Options
    You never forget your first

Very nice looking job.The only suggestion would be to use the U.L. approved flexible oil lines next time around. It makes it much easier to service, less chance of a leak (or suction leak) when you swing the front down to clean.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    top shelf

As always ron excellent install as always even with a learning curve of never installing a ek your workmanship shines through and shows your craftmanship ,hats off as always keep up the excellent work my friend by the way i was back out in freeport last week got one or 2 more days out there later this week ,how you holding up with the heat ?Is it hot and humid enough for you my friend ?peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.