Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

EDR help

Options
It looks like an Arco, does this help? <A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/pdfs/192.pdf"> Arco Rads </A><BR>I got this from the HH library, it`s under the resources tab above.<BR><BR>Dave

Comments

• Dan_43
    Dan_43 Member Posts: 53
    Options
    what is the EDR of this Radiator

I am sizing a new boiler for my house. I was able to find all the EDR stats on my thin tube type radiators in Dan's book "lost art of steam heat" but I can not find any info on this radiator can anyone help? The dimensions are 9"x 6" 52". I was able to find the embossed letters on one of the ends "ABCO CONVECTOR". I believe the EDR to be quite high because this is the warmest room in the house.

At this point my total sq-ft of steam requirement is 466 not including the mystery radiator or a pick-up factor. In my total I have included all of the disconnected radiators, that I am aware of.

I am a Professional restorer of Victorian homes and have what knowledge I have been able to glean from Dan's good books and the general know-how that goes along with rebuilding old houses, but in no means a professional of steam heat. So I will gratefully accept all the input you folks have to offer in my great boiler replacement adventure before winter sets in.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,112
    Options
    info

what is the height of your enclosure for the height changes the effective edr of the raditor because of the increase or decrease of convention occuring also is that a motorized zone valve on the supply valve ,i couldn't find a listing in dans EDR for a abco but has simalar convector made by hb smith but i need the cabinet hieght for the correct edr peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • Dan_43
    Options
    cabinet size

24" high by 11" deep and 55" long
    you are right the name is ARCO but I can not read the specs

Dan
  • Dan_43
    Options
    zone valve

that is what you see in the picture but it is not in use.
    Dan
  • Specs

I got this from the Burnham site, these are the ratings for the CI type convectors.
    Good Luck!

Dave
  • Dan_43
    Options
    boiler sizing

thanks for the chart that completes my calulations for sqft
    I have a total of 538 x 1.33= 715sqft x 240= 171,655 btu gross output, correct?
    what boilers have you found to be the best value for the buck these days?
    Dan
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    You don't need to add

the pickup factor of 1.33. It's already figured into boilers' NET ratings.

With a load of 538 square feet, and if you're firing oil, there's only one boiler: Burnham's Mega-Steam #MST-629.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Dan_43
    Options

and if I am using gas what's your recommendation?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Options
    Smith G8-5

this is a wet-base boiler with a power gas burner.

The wet base almost completely surrounds the flame with water-backed cast-iron, unlike an atmospheric gas boiler where the flame is completely below the boiler sections. This makes it more efficient since less heat is lost from the base. It also lets you switch fuels without buying a new boiler.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.