Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Work Boots

Options
We all where RedWings @ Pompetti's!

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    What work boots do you like

Winter's coming, my boots from last year are shot, I don't do shoes or tenny's in the winter. What boots do you like? How well do they wear? Gore-Tex?
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    If leather's your thing

I bought a pair of Doc Martins a few years back. Steel toed, very comfortable and rugged. An oxford style I think. Got them at a Work Boot shop. The owner buys seconds and close outs and sells way below typical list prices.

There are a lot of nice steel and titanium toed soft, hiking boot looking work shoes out there these days. Many with lug soles, Gore tex and good looking materials.

hot rod
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • martin
    martin Member Posts: 144
    Options
    I prefer Redwings

A pair usually lasts me about 2 years I grease up about once a month and leave by the stove at night. But when conditions get real nasty I change to rubber insulated Northerns.
  • Tombig_2
    Tombig_2 Member Posts: 231
    Options
    Boots

Hey Steve,

Tho my feet are flatter than central Illinois I've been blessed with no major foot related maladies in 30 yrs in the trades. Truth be told, an hour or more on an extension ladder is a little tough on the bottom of my feet.

Having run the gamut from Red Wing to the cheapies I find I run thru either just as fast. For the last ten years or so I'm kinda stuck on Texas Steer from K-Mart. No steel toes, too uncomfortable and cold. No top stitching (a throwback to the welding days), six inch for some ankle support, hooks for the top three laces for ez on-off, 6-8 months before the soles wear out.

I've had expensive boots resoled only to have the tops wear out shortly later. IMO tennis shoes belong on no jobsite. Tender feet, necessary arch support require a more significant investment. I'm lucky for now. It's back to K-Mart soon for my winter pair.

Tom Goebig
  • Paul Fredricks_3
    Paul Fredricks_3 Member Posts: 1,557
    Options

For the last 2 years I've been wearing Hi-Tec hiking shows from Bob's Stores. I like the look and the fit, both important since I am in the office at least 60% of the time these days. They last me a little over a year.
  • mike faust
    mike faust Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Shoes

For those who appreciate the finest... Try a new blace walking shoe for summer. My workees are black in color and just for kicks I have a white pair to match for nice. BUT BEWARE ALL YEE WEARY SOLES.... The $15 gel inserts make any shoe a true ruby slipper of comfort!
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    wolverines

American made the higher priced ones with goretex rubber coated nose and fiberglass toe rock and roll ,they usually only last a year but i am the original shoe killer ,cheapo shoes last me like 3 months and i am not kidding ,they are not cheap over a 120 but if i can a year outta them any one else will get at least 2 peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

i swear by Hi tec magnum boots. Part nylon, part leather. Waterproof, lightweight and breathable. They last about 6-8 months. Just enough time to switch from insulated to un insulated. I wear them 7 days a week, 14 hours a days for the last 13 years.
  • Ken D.
    Ken D. Member Posts: 836
    Options
    I like

Red Wings. Comfortable, wear like iron and US made. $120.00 - $140.00 range depending on the model. They last me almost 2 years.
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    Currently i am steppin ...

with my Converse all Stars limited edition with dragons on them.*~/:)

i Know thats Not what you asked buh

they are some fine steppin kicks :)

i am also unqualified to say anything other than whats happening now :)

and work boots are not in the cards.:)
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Options
    US Made

ThoroGood American Heritage's. Very Light and comfortable. I get them with the non marking soles, and they don't hold dirt or rocks in the bottom soles, so no problem walking on finish floors. Last about two years.
    When there is snow, I sometimes change over to Wolverines that I had for 4 years , or insulated rubber boots.
  • Bob Harper_2
    Bob Harper_2 Member Posts: 54
    Options
    Iron Age Safety Shoe

Makes sneakers that meet OSHA specs. ave a plastic toe guard that isn't so cold, gel insole for backaches, and puncture resistance.

They got bigger and changed their website, so its a mess now. They bought out Knapp Shoe.

HTH,
    Bob
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
    boots

I too wear Hi tec magnum or anotheer similar brand. I get them from the Police/Fireman stores. They are good if you'll be on you feet all day. You can find them in wide if you need that too.
  • Don \"Grumpy\" Walsh
    Options
    Gone like yesterdays wine

Iron Age/Knapp Shoes filed Chapter 11 proceedings in bankruptcy court in January 2007. Their website now comprises of only two pages: 1.) The bankruptcy notice; 2.) the payment form for those who still owe the company money. It is a bit ironic that they tell you not to send inquiries about guarantee issues or questions about the status of prior orders, as they will be ignored. In other words- pay us, but don't ask for anything from us. How rude!:)
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    Sketchers

Yes, Sketchers. OSHA steel toes and shanks, light-weight and my niece thinks they are "stylin'".

My women friends who, let's say, married within the tribe, think that they rock and are quite sensible, almost like their Doc Martens.

Very comfortable and rugged.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
  • JJ_4
    JJ_4 Member Posts: 146
    Options
    Wolverines

Wolverines, steel toe, 6", model #03054. Sole wears great. No break-in time.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    red wings

We all wear red wings. Best boots i have ever tried. I get two years from one pair and you can get the soles done for little money.
  • bruce_21
    bruce_21 Member Posts: 241
    Options

I've been wearing Red Wings for 25yrs. can't get anything more comfortable, straight out of the box they're like an old friend.
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    Options
    For walking on

red iron you can't beat Red Wing Irish Setters. For the money I like Mason, I can get them in A width, long lasting and comfortable. In the winter I wear Sorel Caribou with some after market arch supports, I have 28 winters on them and their still good. bob
  • RianS
    RianS Member Posts: 104
    Options

Merrell's for me all year, Red Wings when it gets really cold and sloppy. I get 3 years out of the Red Wings and about 2 out of the Merrell's
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    Options

cold is not an issue for me, but concrete is.

I been wearing wolverine dura shocks. there are several different styles... I can only vouch for one... a really ugly pair for about 116 bucks. Last about 2 yr.

Very comfortable on concrete.
  • al Letellier_22
    Options
    Work Boots

Everybodies feet are different and different boots don't always work for everybody, but after 45 years of field testing about every boot and shoe out there, I swear by CAROLINA boots. Absolutely the most comfortable boot out there, on my feet. Gore Tex and Thinsulate lined, steel shank and great padding, easily get 2-3 years use. Never go cheap on your feet !!!
  • Asolo TPS 520

Lightweight, waterproof, and rugged, Most comfortable boot I've ever worn. Before that I used the top of the line Easterm Mountain Sports Mountain hikers made in Italy for many years. Got at least 3 years out of a pair but they discontinued them and went Chinese. The Asolo's are fron Romania. They're not chep but when you figure on 3 years of use it's not so bad...

http://www.asolo.com/content.asp?L=3&idMen=412
  • Stan W_2
    Stan W_2 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    If you are working on cold concrete...use ridged soles vs flat

soles, due to heat transfer, ridges ( less surface )transfer less heat than flat soles ( more surface contact), the flatter the sole, the faster your feet will
    get cold. I learnt this by example, bought a new pair of boots with ridged soles, it was like night and day, cold vs warm. Feeling good working,vs cold working.
  • Chris B.
    Chris B. Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Redwings were out of stock...

Sears had Timberland PRO steel toe on sale for $89.99. I'm on my second pair in 3 years. No break in period no blisters. Dark chocolate brown. When you wear your boots for 60+ hours on the job and 1 1/2 hours each way to work everyday, they better be comfortable. Also as someone else said, jell insoles are like walking on clouds, while stepping on concrete.
  • blunnies

I do Blundstones, I just got my second pair of steel toes in 4.5 yrs! And I've even done shutdowns in refineries in em' slogging through all manner of waste oil and mystery goo. They are slip on, so may (in my case anyway) be a little painful for the first couple weeks until they break in, but after that there's nothing I've had more comfortable or durable.
  • Tekkie
    Tekkie Member Posts: 58
    Options
    Arch supports

Bob mentioned arch supports. Where can I find a GOOD pair? All I can find are gel ones that squash under my weight. either that or orthodics and then no normal shoe/boot fits.
  • Ken C.
    Ken C. Member Posts: 267
    Options
    Another vote for Timberland Pro

My pair has lasted a year, whereas if I buy K-Mart or Wal-Mart specials, I get six months tops. My Timberland Pros lasted just as long as the Red Wings I tried a few years ago. Red Wings are good, but overpriced, IMO (I usually wear out the leather over the steel toe before the sole).
This discussion has been closed.