Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam help in MA needed

Dan_29
Dan_29 Member Posts: 111
There is no price advantage for gas over oil nowadays. Oil actually produces more btu s per gallon than gas does per therm. If you don't already have gas piped into the house installation of pipe can be a substantial expense. Burnham has introduced a steam/oil boiler called the Megasteam. Many of the pros who frequent this page sing its praises constantly.

Check resources at the top of the Wall page. It has find a pro section. For your area, I noticed Patriot Heating and Cooling of Fairhaven --Ted is the boss. They seem to focus on hot water installs but may do steam or know someone who does.

Dan

Comments

• Christie
    Christie Member Posts: 1
    Steam help on Cape Cod

hi. a homeowner here. I have a 2 pipe residential oil peerless boiler system. I think the boiler is from the 70's and the tech from the oil co. thinks it could be nearing the end. Efficiency is 73%. I wanted to convert to gas. (I have a pellet stove now as primary heat) I have calculated that is cost me 120$ to heat just the hot water. I got the book (homeowners guide) and made sure the plumber guy here in Falmouth knew what he is doing. He measured the radiators, etc. Waited 4 weeks for the quote and now he says he doesn't want to do it at all. Steam too complicated.
    My question is this: Is there a decent reputable guy out there? And I crazy for converting to gas? I wanted the cheapest way to heat hot water? (I currently have the inside the boiler tank thing) Sorry for rambling. Any input would be helpful. (the book was very interesting for a non-professional)
    christie
  • Dick Charland
    Dick Charland Member Posts: 178

Christie, please call my office and they will put you in touch with me, the company I work for represents Peerless in New England. E.R. Stephen Co. (800) 649-6789.

Richard L. Charland
  • Al Gregory
    Al Gregory Member Posts: 260

Id stay with the oil if it were me. You just need the right guy.
  • Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    I agree- Oil for Steam

Gas shines best in condensing equipment, a feature lost (and wasted) when making steam. As Al said, find the right person and make your system glow with best practices. Be patient. Some may be willing to cross the canal for you.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.