Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

push nipple

T_4
T_4 Member Posts: 36
I took a single pipe steam radiator apart. The sections came apart easily. However half of the push nipple is stiil stuck in the section. How can I get the nipple out. I tried putting a wrench on it without success.

Comments

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    Try...

A slide hammer, or fabricate a wheel puller.

Get a 6+" 1/2 bolt/threaded rod, put a "toggle" cross-piece inside the nipp and an oversized short nip (perhaps a 2"X close? around the push nipp hanging out - using the taller edge of the 2" X close as a base. Get a huge fender washer or like thingy to allow the bolt/rod to go thru with the toggle (perhaps a piece of channel/uni-strut) over drilled so it will "toggle" into the push nip and yet when drawn back, catch both side of the inner aspect of the push nipp.

A washer or two, a nut, a deep socket or open end...

Voila!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • T_4

How would I do this with a slide hammer?
    A couple of the nipples are stuck in end sections,
    so I can only get at it from the front.
    The nipples are in good condition, so I
    would like to salvage them. Thanks.
  • Ken_40
    The slide hammer I envision...

Is the kind that has a screw-on steel "finger."

Put the finger edge/lip on the inner shoulder of the P.N. and GENTLY slide the weight - using three opposing points to assure you don't cock the P.N. or crack the c.i.rad boss

Want a photo of the slide hammer I use?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • T_4

Yes please send the photo. Thanks
  • Ken_40
    See attached photo

Slide hammer - with "finger" attachment/tip

• T_4

Hi,

Thanks for the photo, but I don't see how this tool will help. Perhaps I have not expalined properly.
    The radiator sections came apart, but the nipple is still
    attached to one of the sections. So let's say the nipple is 3"
    then 1 1/2 " is exposed. Now I tried puuting a wrench around the exposed parr of the nipple, but had no success.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981

oops!
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Is ....

That you Butthead ?
  • Ken_40
    T,

If the tool pictured appears to have no purpose for the job you have described and have at hand, perhaps you could send us a picture of what is there?

The tip of the slide hammer would be inserted just far enough to have the small but very sturdy "lip" of the screw on adapter "finger" just snag the inner cicumference of the P.N. Once it is on that edge, the slide hammer would exert a "come-on-outta-there" force that would jar the P.N. out a tad with each stroke - until the taper became so loosened, it would come out the rest of the way by hand.

If you do not see the merit of the tool, I don't understand the nature of your dilemma. A photo from you would be worth a thousand words...

• T_4

> If the tool pictured appears to have no purpose

> for the job you have described and have at hand,

> perhaps you could send us a picture of what is

> there?

>

> The tip of the slide hammer would be

> inserted just far enough to have the small but

> very sturdy "lip" of the screw on adapter

> "finger" just snag the inner cicumference of the

> P.N. Once it is on that edge, the slide hammer

> would exert a "come-on-outta-there" force that

> would jar the P.N. out a tad with each stroke -

> until the taper became so loosened, it would come

> out the rest of the way by hand.

>

> If you do

> not see the merit of the tool, I don't understand

> the nature of your dilemma. A photo from you

> would be worth a thousand words...

>

> _A

> HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=

> 504&Step=30"_To Learn More About This

> Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in

> "Find A Professional"_/A_

I'm not familiar with "slide hammers" and how they
    work. But I think I understand what you're suggesting.
    The nipple in question is a good 2" in diameter, so it seems
    hard to believe that this would work.
    Would a "Government surplus slide hammer, 13" oal, 1/2-20 nf thread, 2-1/2 lb hammer" suffice ? I can get this on ebay.
    Where would I find an appropriate finger tool attachment?
    Thanks
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Provided you can get at the other side of the nipple, use a big flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Not too hard and keep working your way around the circumference of the nipple. I'd be a bit wary of re-using a nipple on which you've used a wrench as there's a great chance you've either scraped it up or distorted it and since they seal strictly by smooth metal-to-smooth metal contact...
  • Mike T., Swampeast MO
    Mike T., Swampeast MO Member Posts: 6,928

Provided you can get at the other side of the nipple, use a big flat blade screwdriver and a hammer. Not too hard and keep working your way around the circumference of the nipple. I'd be a bit wary of re-using a nipple on which you've used a wrench as there's a great chance you've either scraped it up or distorted it and since they seal strictly by smooth metal-to-smooth metal contact...

If you can't get at the other side, you might try a strap wrench
This discussion has been closed.