Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Buderus GB142 Service call (Glenn H.)

PLEASE DO NOT USE MINERAL SPIRITS WITH THE GB142!!!! Only Mineral oil can be used to help clean the heat exchanger or in the condesate tank to help prevent evaporation. Vegitable oil or anti-freeze can also be used in the condesate tank. Ideally the homeowner should check the condensate tank, especially in all high temperature applications or during the summer when only domestic hot water is calling the boiler on, but we know in the real world this is not always the case.

Comments

• Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Customer called last night with no hot water...

and the GB142 showing fault code 3L. I looked at the code sheet at home and found that 3L is computer not receiving signal from combustion blower. I had the customer reset the unit and it fired just fine.

Today she calls again, same thing, except when she reset the unit it made a loud groaning noise, followed by the digital display going blank. I get there this evening (busy day) and find the 5 amp fuse on the computer module blown. I replaced the fuse restarted the unit, and as soon as the combustion motor tried to start there was a big flash from the motor and the fuse popped again. I pulled the combustion blower assembly, and found one of the capacitors had literally blown into a couple of pieces.

My co-worker will be going back tomorrow to replace the blower, after he goes to the supply house and takes one out of another unit (replacement motor kit not in stock).

I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of this or had any thoughts about things we should be looking at tomorrow morning when we replace the combustion blower kit.

TIA
  • Joe@buderus_2
    Joe@buderus_2 Member Posts: 302
    GB142

It is suggested to check the condensate trap to be sure that it is still filled with water. We have seen when the condensate trap is low on water, flue gases are allowed to escape into the GB142 cabinet and then sucked in by the fan. This moist air on the fan circuit board can short it out. The use of mineral oil in the condensate trap is recommended to help prevent evaporation of the water.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Thanks Joe

My co-worker went back this morning and installed the new motor with no problems.

I did see last night the trap is full, and when I looked at the motor last night and saw no signs of damage/moisture on the motor board.

I don't know what happened, but it is fixed now and customer is happy.
  • Mike.C
    Mike.C Member Posts: 43

Funny you should post this now. I just got done going though the exploded view of the GB142 and getting all the part numbers ready to make a spare parts order. When I was at Buderus last year they said they hadn't had a motor fail to that point so I wasn't going to bother putting one in my order. Thanks. I will add that to my list.
    Mike.C
  • Dobber
    Dobber Member Posts: 91
    condesate

I wonder if the evaporation is due to high temp. applications.The mineral oil is a great idea, especially when you'll have some for heat ex. cleaning.

Thanks
    Dobber
    If you don't have time to do it right, what makes you think you have time to do it over?
  • singh
    singh Member Posts: 866
    Joe

Mineral oil or mineral spirits for trap?
    Mineral spirits for cleaning heat exchanger?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Mad Dog_2
    Mad Dog_2 Member Posts: 6,831
    Glad I checked in and read this post

Is that in the new Manuals, Joe? Mineral oil in the reservoir? How much and how long will it last? We are putting in 2 this week, should we do it at start up? Mad Dog

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • barnum
    barnum Member Posts: 1
    gb 142 -45 fan problem

on buderus boiler gb-142-45 fan had tripped control fuse after one light of operation , replaced motor and is operational , is this a common problem

barnum
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Reading between the lines

One would think common sense would dictate that a person not use a volatile fluid such as mineral spirits for any purpose around an appliance that encloses a flame. I'm just smiling and letting my mind wander over what incident prompted this post..............

Did the boiler blow right off the wall or was the explosion contained by the HX?  Might be some good marketing propaganda there for Buderus if it did indeed survive. 
  • carm51
    carm51 Member Posts: 1
    owner

code 3L, did you notice the code was not in the book that came with the boiler. I called the tech. line provided for me from R.E.Michel in SYRACUSE< N.Y.

the tech says the inducer is bad,i'm ordering an ignitor and ionizer sensor. i was also getting a code of 3y, i'm changing the sensor and the ignitor first. the fan cost big bucks so i think thats the way to go.
This discussion has been closed.