Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

direct question about an indirect

Options
Ted_9
Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
This should help out.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    cleaning

What's the best way to clean the exterior of the coil on an indirect tank? I have a Super Store SS-80 that runs nearly nonstop in a commercial application and water production is slowing down. All other variables are good....flow and boiler water temp........the coil has to be coated over. NoMk cleanouts on a Super Store.
  • marc
    marc Member Posts: 203
    Options
    Cleaning

Steve,
    We have had good luck with phospheric acid, draining the tank to just below the coil, then adding the acid/water mixture to just above the coil. Then run the boiler and dhw pump for a period of time. Rinse and repeat if needed. The phos. acid will rapidly remove the build-up on the coil. (recipe from indirect hot water maker manufacturer)I can get you the exact requirements Thursday if you need them.
    Marc
  • Ted_9
    Options
    HTP coil cleaning

What about this document?
  • Joey B_2
    Joey B_2 Member Posts: 24
    Options
    My old boss...

My old boss one time had me do what he called "shocking the coil". all I did was drain the indirect and let the circ run for a about a minute or so (just long enough to dry the exterior of the coil) and then I ran a hose into the top of the indirect. believe it or not it worked out well.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    I'm with Joey B.

I use the same "Magic Wand" for both Amtrol and the occasional SuerStor tank.Closely spaced fins within a tightly wound coil, and crappy water lead to total lack of heat transfer...when the fins become clogged.

Drain the tank...give it the hottest possible boiler water through the coil...and let the pigeons fly with street temp. water.(Hint..remove the temp.well and you're right on top of the coil)

It may take a few flushings...but I've got better results with this than the "nickel safe coil cleaner". SHOCKING! It works! JMHO. Chris
  • Ted_9
    Options

• Ted_9
    Options

• Steve Ebels_3
    Options
    I've heard of that

Or read of that somewhere................Either Buderus or Viessmann recommends "shock therapy" for cleaning buildup off the coil. I was wondering if HTP had any factory approved method for their tanks.
  • Ted_9
    Options

Hey Steve, just read the pdf.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Options
    Thanks Ted

Don't know how I missed the link but that's exactly what I was looking for.
This discussion has been closed.