Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Webster Vent Trap

Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
Quoting a new steamer to replace an old National. It has a Webster Vent Trap. Are the vents replaceable ? Or don't they need to be ? The system hasn't been used for 10 years (pellet stove) but now is on the docket for renewal.

All the rads are Aeros and the CI convectors are too. The convectors have cast end sections with 3 rows of CI sections between them. The EDR book shows just one cross section in the Aero convector. Thought maybe that's just an example and what I'm seeing is the norm for the sizes I have. To triple the EDR for those convectors would seem like more than the 3/4" runouts could handle. By the book they range from 34-56 sq. ft. each. Seems right to me.

Haven't downloaded the pics yet and will post a couple later.


  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Tony, that should be a Webster \"Modulation\" Vapor System

    the only vent it should have is the one on top of the vent trap. You may find a vacuum check screwed into the top of the vent trap; replace it with a Gorton #2 vent. Vacuum doesn't work well with oil or gas firing.

    This system should have traps on the rads and convectors. You can get replacement trap elements from Tunstall or Barnes & Jones. It should also have a crossover trap between the end of each steam main and the dry return. This acts as a main vent, and must be working properly in order for the steam to distribute properly.

    If the system also has a Return Trap, it is a Type "R" Vapor system, but the above details still apply.

    On the convectors, I have some literature that shows the number of rows of element in the Aero convector is related to the depth (front to back) of the element. If you go by cabinet height, width and depth you should be OK.

    Looking forward to your pics.

    To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033

    No pics of piping, just the convectors.

    The Trap/Vent is on the end of the single steam main.

    The dry return has no crossover, it just drops straight into the wet return at the boiler next to the drop from the trap/vent.
This discussion has been closed.