Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Looong gone!

Options
lchmb
lchmb Member Posts: 2,997
HOLY XXXX.....I'd run screaming... that's scary..

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

Guy calls me and says he has an older boiler that he would like to get running. I go out & look and this is what greets me. The 5 units that need heat are the top floors, but of course this beast ran both main floors at one time as well. I politely said no way, Jose! May get to salvage the rads, though! Must be 35 of them still hooked up, but supplies & returns cut everywhere.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I love a challenge

But not this one.

I'd walk, NO, run away. Fast.

There is one to describe this one. Liability.

'nuff said.....

• ttekushan_3
    ttekushan_3 Member Posts: 958
    Options
    What could possibly go wrong?

Everything in that basement looks just as scary as the boiler's gas train! At least the boiler isn't hooked up; everything else down there IS.
    terry
  • DaveStroman2
    DaveStroman2 Member Posts: 21
    Options

The only thing worth saving are the radiators. And probably half of them leak. But I would save them all too.

Here is a pic from an old Am. Rad. book.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    That's Vapor

with a new boiler and the pipes fixed, it would probably work fine... unless the current owner was the one who hooked up that water heater flue pipe, then I'd run......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

Problem is that the mains have been cut in many places, and the supplies & returns were cut half way down the walls of the main level. Also, all rads on the main floors are gone. I have declined to repair the fallen gas line as I have no idea what would be getting gas when it was repaired. I am sure he will find someone willing to roll the dice and hook it back up. I told him to go with RTU's from a bigger company.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    Options
    oldie and no so goodie....

Only two options on that one.....and you picked one of them. RUN. The other is a no brainer also...total and complete demolition and start from scratch. Don't get too many opportunities to install a new steam system these days....maybe worth thinking about?
  • bigwilly104
    bigwilly104 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    That is scary

> Only two options on that one.....and you picked

> one of them. RUN. The other is a no brainer

> also...total and complete demolition and start

> from scratch. Don't get too many opportunities to

> install a new steam system these days....maybe

> worth thinking about?

• bigwilly104
    bigwilly104 Member Posts: 50
    Options
    That is scary

But the boiler face looks really cool. I would love to get my hands on somthing like that and just cut the face of with a torch and mount it on the shop wall. I love both the flue pipes. I do object to the twine holding the flue for the furnace. At my company I only alow black twine its just so much more profesional.
This discussion has been closed.