Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

cleaning heat exchanger

Options
Al_11
Al_11 Member Posts: 34
I have got a Weil-Mclain CGX in a beauty shop for their hot water. One of the girls changed the air filters on their furnace and did not secure the panel. The blower started sucking air down the flu pipe for the boiler, somehow did not trip any limits but did manage to soot up the boiler and mechanical room. soot got sucked into the furnace and also though the duct work into the beauty shop.
Naturally this happens on a friday night. I was able to pull the burners out and get part of the top off and clean the top and bottom of the heat exchanger but I know I was not able to clean it thoroughly. It has radiation plates between the cells that I can't get out and I can't get a wire, or brush, or duct strap inbetween the cells.
Does anybody have any ideas? Is their a chemical solution I can pour through the heat exchanger? I tried using the exhaust on my vacuum and made a bigger mess . I need help.
Thanks for any ideas. Al

Comments

• J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Al,

Water washing does work...however, it ain't pretty or anywhere near clean unless it's done right. (Try Firedragonent.com and see if it's in the files. George taught me this many years ago..and I have to use it occassionally!)

I've done a couple by getting them hot, removing the burner tubes and putting a foil pan in the burner tray area. A spray bottle and some hot water is usually enough to get piles of soot out of all the nooks and crannies.I've also used "Simple Green" with good success, and it smells nice too!Although that boiler doesn't look like it....the design is a "modified pass design", almost 3 passes because the sections are arranged so that the flue gasses flow "back to front to back, then out through the top...and there isn't a way to get a brush through it...top to bottom.(Hope that was clear!)

2 other things to consider at this point....Air for combustion being the operative phrase at this point...#1,Enough? or#2 "do I have to get some more in there?"

Fan in a can is a WONDERFUL invention!!!
    Best of luck bunkie! Chris
This discussion has been closed.