Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

wondering how's our new non smoker friends are doing?

Options
So what's the updates on our new non smoking friends doing... Illinois and Minnesota are another states to have statewide smoking ban, giving the non smokers more FREEDOM of choices of going anywhere that are smoke free...

Comments

• Pinball
    Pinball Member Posts: 249
    Options
    Still clean!

The first week of august will be 5 months for me after more than 30 years! I thought it was a piece of cake, untill, the boss said to me that I have become almost "impossible to deal with" I guess I was taking out my frustrations on everybody else And I did'nt realize it. I just thought my tolerance for crap had gotten lower and the whole world had turned into jerks! I never knew that nicotine was such a mood altering drug. (or lack ther of)
    I guess I have to "grow more patience, 'cause I Aint light'in up!

Al (pinball)
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    2 months....

On Wednesday for me! and still going strong. Chris
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040
    Options

2.5 years here, and it is still a daily battle. Was sneaking one here and there, but not for over a year. If you mention it again, I will have to cut your hand off and feed it to my dogs, but otherwise all is well. My friends smoke and it is really hard to ignore the sweet aroma.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

I hear ya, it's been 6 years for me and I still reach for them on a cool morning right before doing a groundwork (my favorite time to light up). I think my success is due to NEVER even taking on drag since the day I quite!
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Options
    Hanging in there

June 9th at around 5PM was, and will be, my last one. Not always easy but bearable now.
  • Ruthe Jubinville_2
    Ruthe Jubinville_2 Member Posts: 674
    Options
    Good for you all

Wait til next year's Bash in Western Mass. You will all be another year smoke free. Ruthe
  • Chuck Shaw_11
    Chuck Shaw_11 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    30 Days

I hit the 30 day mark today.

It hasnt been as bad as I thought it would be, but it wasnt exactly what I would call fun.

Chuck
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,404
    Options
    13 Years this August

Yippie!!!

Paging Mr. Hunt
  • Unknown
    Options
    glad to hear

Glad to hear all of you and many more are doing their best to quit of this nasty habit. Been 17 yrs of this month for me... And now Michigan is next going to have statewide smoking ban!
  • ScottMP
    ScottMP Member Posts: 5,884
    Options
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Options
    Atta Boy Chuck!

You and I might live to be 60 yet!!

Give me a ring RE our previous conversation on service sometime.
  • Charles_8
    Charles_8 Member Posts: 74
    Options

Mike Hunt? Is he in the parking lot?...

Congratulations to everyone who has quit. If you relapse, don't feel too bad. The average smoker has to make seven serious attempts before quitting for any length of time.

There's also a (fairly) new drug called Chantix (varenicline) that is remarkably effective compared to any previous intervention, including other drugs, patches, nicotine gum, etc. Success rate at 1 year is about 50%, which is dramatically better than the 10-20% (at best) of any other method. It doesn't seem to have any interactions with other medications and few side effects other than temporary nausea in up to 30% of users, which very rarely results in discontinuing the drug. It's usually taken for three months. Many insurance companies will pay the $100 monthly cost since it's cheaper for them than strokes, heart attacks, lung cancer...

I've recommended it to several people who really wanted to quit but couldn't, up to 2 packs a day, and so far ALL of them have said they can't believe it worked so well and the craving is just gone.

No financial interest, etc. Just my opinion. "Ask your doctor".

-Charles
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Options
    Chantix worked well for me

I took it for about 4 weeks total. During that time I continued to puff away but once I hit the 2 week mark I began to notice that lighting up just didn't provide the "kick" that it did previously. By day 18-19 I was really wondering what I was doing looking at a cigarette. They just didn't do anything for me anymore. I tossed the last butt out the window with only a drag or two on it.

Any of you other recent quitters notice that you've been hacking up crap that smells like smoke? Gross Huh?
  • Bill W@Honeywell
    Bill W@Honeywell Member Posts: 164
    Options
    Here's the \"medical\" explanation...

Your "windpipe" or trachea (sp?), is lined with little cells that have fine hair-like cilia attatched. They constantly beat upward, moving the dust & goop that we all breathe in daily out of your lungs, and out when you clear your throat. Nicotine is a powerful drug that paralyzes these cilia, and eventually kills them. Within about 2 weeks of quitting, these little "cleaners" start working again, hence the gross stuff you are noticing now. Nicotine also plays havoc with your sense of smell, and that is also coming back, along with your sense of taste! Just be careful that your new-found sense of smell and taste doesn't add up to a "spare tire" from too much food. Congratulations to all you EX smokers! Getting that 800 pound gorilla off your back is NOT easy.
  • J.C.A._3
    J.C.A._3 Member Posts: 2,981
    Options
    Thanks Bill...

Now, about that sense of smell coming back...You wouldn't believe just how much you've been missing. Scott and I were going to look at a job last week in his Jeep. The doors were off and I could smell the smoke coming from the truck in front of us. One of the other guys was driving in a company van, and Scott asked him as soon as we stopped to look at another job if he was smoking, and he was!

The food is tasting better all the time too! I've NOT put on any weight, but the loss I was getting before has slowed down a bit. (23lbs so far!)

Markie...YOU'RE NEXT!!!! Chris
  • EJW_3
    EJW_3 Member Posts: 69
    Options
    Smokeless

I wonder if this would work on someone trying to quit Skoal? EJW
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Options
    Wouldn't doubt it a bit

"Smokeless" tobacco dopes your brain with nicotine just like cigs. Chantix blocks the nicotine from reaching that particular place or receptor, even while still using, so you are "weaned" without quitting. What I found was that after a little over two weeks, a cigarette just didn't do anything for me any more. Then it was just a little nudge of mind over matter to let go of the hand/mouth habit. That part is still the same but you can replace it with a toothpick, jawbreakers, suckers, gum or what ever. Give your doctor a call and I'll bet he agrees with what I've said. I've already saved about twice the cost of the $100 prescription.
This discussion has been closed.