Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Vitotronic 200 and circulators

Dave_4
Dave_4 Member Posts: 1,405
Hello,
I recently had Vitola with indirect DHW tank installed. The control is a Vitotronic 200. Currently, the control is set to DHW production only. Because the heating circuits are off, I closed some hand valves on those circuits (I figured it prevented a bit of heat escaping even though there are check valves).

I was reading the documentation of the Vitotronic 200 the other night and I came across something interesting - it mentioned that even though the heating circuit is off, it will run the circulators once every 24 hours to ensure the circulators do not seize. Did I understand this correctly?

Since I closed the hand valves, I bet the circulators are not enjoying life when they get turned one once a day. Can this damage the circulator?

Thanks.

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Off-Season Circulators

I cannot speak to the specifics of the Vitotronic, but off-season cycling of circulators, especially water-lubricated circulators is commonly done across a wide variety of control platforms. The idea is to prevent seizing of the rotors when they sit idle. Once per 24 hours sounds like a lot. Most I have seen run them for 3 minutes or so every 72 hours.

I would open the valves and let the circulators fully express their inner potential- to hold them back (dead-heading) is definitely not recommended. A short close off of a few seconds for testing is one thing but not longer and not a habit.

Cue theme from "Born Free" here.
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.