Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Tekmar 260 \"dead on the wall\" ?

Options
jalcoplumb_7
jalcoplumb_7 Member Posts: 62
Get in touch with your local Tekmar Rep. to get his input. I had a bad control and sent it back for factory repair. It cost less than a new one.

Good luck.

Comments

• Saggs
    Saggs Member Posts: 174
    Options

Got a customer w/ a Tekmar 260 i installed last fall on a Buderus unit. Went to service the boiler and the control is dead. There's power to the control and the red "test" light is on but no LCD readout or functions. Owner said they got a got lightning strike in the summer that cooked a couple phones. Think the units shot? Any warranty? I couldn't find anything in the paperwork that mentioned my problems, (well, not my problems) but the Tekmar's problems.
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Options
    Sounds like

you've got it, but I'd get in touch with Tekmar to be sure.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich L.
    Rich L. Member Posts: 414
    Options

Did you try killing power to it and repowering it? I had one a few years back that locked out and I did this on a Sunday to get it going. Checked with my supplier and he said thats all I needed to do, if that didn't fix it I'd probably need to replace it. It's still working now.
    Good Luck
  • jp_2
    jp_2 Member Posts: 1,935
    Options
    homeowners Insurance

I think home owners insurance covers such things? or maybe not....
  • kevin coppinger_4
    kevin coppinger_4 Member Posts: 2,124
    Options
    lightning ...

is an act of God thing...no HO ins. will cover that...kpc

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Perry_3
    Perry_3 Member Posts: 498
    Options
    The best insurance...

A really good surge protector that will handle anything short of a dirct lightning strike on the lines to the house (and if these people had that they would know because their fuse or breaker panel would have been fried along with virtually everything plugged in).

www.brickwall.com

These are not cheap... but their are real reasons they are not cheap - like they can really handle surges well and don't burn out in the process.

How many people are offering their customers this kind of protection for the boiler they sell? (maybe a recomended accessory)

Perry
  • radioconnection_2
    radioconnection_2 Member Posts: 70
    Options
    surge arrestor

You can protect the AC line from surges, but what about the remote sensor leads for the inside and outdoor thermistors? A nearby strike will induce large amounts of energy on those leads, right back into the analog inputs of the Tekmar. Anyone know of a Tekmar approved protector for the sensor leads?

Pete
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 356
    Options
    Lightning

Kevin

You are wrong about the lightning and the HO policy at least in some cases I have been paid by insurance companies many times to replace submersible pumps after lightning strikes.I had a strike at my own home that fried the microwave TV etc. Insurance Co. paid on that one too.

John
  • Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    Some acts of God are covered

And some are not. I know a guy that got his car destroyed by a rock rolling off the mountainside, and it was NOT covered. But lightning strikes damaging home devices are usually covered. You have to consider that your Homeowner Policy premiums may go up after filing a claim. I believe you can get that Tekmar repaired for about 85 bucks.
This discussion has been closed.