Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Waste oil boiler- Buderus or Viessmann?

OK guys,
I am doing a 6000ftsq. farm shop in radiant.
The customer wanted to burn waste oil, so we steered him toward a Buderus G115 with special waste oil burner by INOV8.

Now we have an opportunity to get a Viessmann Vitola 200 with the same INOV8 burner.

I know the Buderus has a tremendous reputation.
And I also know the reputation of the Viessmann as far as being the "crem de la crem" of mod/con gas boilers.

So how would the Buderus and Viessman compare in this application burning waste oil? How much difference is there, and what is the difference? (other than price)

Thanks, Kevin

Comments

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    remember

waste oil is an extremely messy fuel to work with and combust. Be sure you have easily serviced filters, and the oil is free from antifreeze and water.

Quiz them on the types of oil the plan on burning. we have had some issues with trucking shops trying to burn waste synthetic crankcase oils. It just doesn't like to burn.

I've heard a rumor that Canada is clamping down on waste oil burner installations??

Chose the boiler that is easiest to clean. That is a frequent service :)

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Cleaning

> Chose the boiler that is

> easiest to clean. That is a frequent service

> :)

For that reason, I would look into using a Viessmann Vitola Biferral, though I do not know of a Vitola being used as a waste oil boiler and I doubt Viessmann would endorse that application. Inov8 specializes in waste oil. It might be best to contact them.
  • Kevin O. Pulver
    Kevin O. Pulver Member Posts: 380

We have been talking with INOV8 since about 5 years ago when a big oil job fell through. When this job came along, we had already done our homework. This customer already has a Reznor waste oil furnace and understands the cleaning issues better than I do.

INOV8 says that the Viessmann is a little better at burning pure vegetable oil, (we don't foresee that happening yet, but who knows?)and possibly a tiny bit easier to clean also. Could any of you confirm that? Any design features that you prefer over the other?
    Is either one better as far as installation/piping or controls?
    I presume both manufacturers will be there to back us up in the future.
    I was honestly excited about the Buderus, but I don't know how many opportunities I'll ever get to touch a Viessmann either.
    I know they're both great boilers, but is the Viessmann undisputedly a "better" boiler? Thanks,
    Kevin
  • ALH_4
    ALH_4 Member Posts: 1,790
    Advantages

I just think the Vitola would make cleaning easier.
  • Waste Oil Boiler

You may want to consider Clean Burn. They do not make other boilers and "adapt" them for waste oil; they are waste oil people that make the boiler for that application.

They make a very good product. Very easily serviced.

http://www.cleanburn.com/products/boilers.htm

Ed Carey
  • joel_19
    joel_19 Member Posts: 931
    codes

check with your local codes. For instance it is ILLEGAL to install a wsate oil boiler in Mass. you can however instal a waste oil furnace as long as it is not ducted.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.