Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clean Air Act

Options
Can some one simply tell me the exact details on R-22 phase out. i was under the assumtion that manufacture will stop production on a R-22 units 2010 and in 2020 there will no longer be R-22 at all.

IS THIS TRUE OR NOT!

Thanks to all you hvac guru's.

Comments

• Mitch_4
    Mitch_4 Member Posts: 955
    Options
    Ken

Read the link over. It is a good synopsis of the Montreal Protocall and how it affects the trade.

Like R 12, they can't make it for NEW equipment, but you can still get it. There is a HUGE misconception that if you install a new R-22 system that it cannot be serviced after 2010.

WRONG!!

R-22 is readily available, and there are only about 500 billion gallons in existing systems in North America.

I use both 22 and 410a, and while 410a seems to be the leading choice, I am still waiting. When I started I carried 4 jugs and it fixed EVERYTHING..now there are 125+ refrigerant blends on the market.

Is 410a the answer? good question...they say it is safe, but then, they said the same about 12, and 22, and smoking, and asbestos and...we'll you get the idea.

While the new refrigerant do not deplete ozone, neither do they seemingly break down either..what is the long term effect of a gas that remains in the atmosphere...we'll know in 10-20 years.
    Mitch B

This discussion has been closed.