Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baxi boilers

Options
deltat_2
deltat_2 Member Posts: 1
We have several HT & Luna series Baxi boilers out in service and have been extremely happy with them – so much so that we are moving away from GB’s which have been slightly problematic for us. The cost & performance are outstanding and once you get used to the Siemens controller they are as easy to set up as a Comfortoll. The Luna non-condensing unit is great in the right application – the attached picture is a Luna we used to replace an old steam boiler system.

Comments

• ed
    ed Member Posts: 4
    Options
    baxi boilers

just wondering if any of you have istalled baxi wall hung boilers and what you thought of them , thanks in advance
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

Yes. I wasn't impressed at all. Especially since it's the same price as really descent mod/con boilers. It does modulate the gas but not the air. And it isn't a condensing boiler.

Also they say you can vent them with PVC, but would you at 250 degrees plus?

Not bashing here but we bought one and it caused us allot of frustration.
  • Bob Forand
    Bob Forand Member Posts: 305
    Options
    Josh

That is pretty rough considering you have only installed one of them. We have hundreds out there with virtually no issues. Unfortunately, it is usually installation errors that cause grief. It also sounds as though you have installed the 310 or 131 which is modulating but non condensing. The condensing models (HT series) are no where near 250 degreee exhaust temps. Just asking, but have you had formal training on the boiler? I am not looking to challenge you at all, only surprised because that is not the normal comeback on the Baxi's.
  • Josh_10
    Options

Well, Okay. But can you really compare them with a TT Prestige Solo or Buderus? For the same money? (Same money when you consider all the extras you have to buy)
  • Bob Forand
    Options
    Definately

Hi Josh, the condensing model HT Series...Definately comparable to both that you mention. What do you mean by the extras that you have to purchase? I dont know where you are, but here in NH, the price is hard to beat because of the performance, plus the options. Seriously, you should take a hard look at the condensing model. I really believe that you would be surprised by what that boiler can do with the Siemens controller options. I would agree that the 310 or 131 that you installed is not in the same league as that of the condensing models you speak of, but the condensing model (HT series) is a different story. I have read a lot of your posts and I have to say that you are the type of person that understand energy savings, and if you took a good look at the HT series, you would understand what I am talking about. Lets take the outdoor sensor for example, it is a real time plug and play control. The boilers computer looks at the energy useage from yesterday and helps determine how many time it will fire today, in essence, it is fine tuning based on outdoor temp from the day before. If it senses it to be colder than yesterday, it will modulate based on today. The point is that it begins its point of modulation at yesterdays temos versus beginning at high fire before it mods down. That, in itself, is fuel savings. There are so many other features such as a programmable legionella function. It will fire the boiler and cook the HX at 160 degrees based on the programming that you the installer sets. As I said, I do believe that you would be surprised at the possibilities that the HT offers if you took a good look at it. By the way, the 310/131 is going to be changing to the Luna3. The Luna3 is going to have new functionality, such as wireless control that will also be the t-stat, it has solar integrated controls onboard, and they have gone to an motorized diverter valve vs the current diaphragm type DHW valve.
  • Super Drain
    Super Drain Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Baxi ht330

I would agree whith Bob. We have installed 5 HT330's and have had no problems. I would recommend using the outdoor sensor with the QA73 control so the boiler can really do its thing.
  • Bob Forand
    Options
    Hey Josh

Hey Josh, what is the problem(s) that you had ? Perhaps it is something that I have run across before and can help you with. Just throwing it out there if you have any interest..
    Bob
  • Josh_10
    Options

We managed to solve all problems.

I was just frustrated with the proprietery venting. My supplier convinced me to try this boiler and then didn't have any venting adapters in stock. The literature says we can vent with PVC but after measuring high stack temps I couldn't possibly leave it like that so we went stainless.

Also we had a bad circuit board which the manufacturer admitted to having problems with. Also I didn't like the limited control options.

I don't really care to carry this argument further. I am merely sharing my bad experience.

• hr
    hr Member Posts: 6,106
    Options
    Baxi had some impressive stuff

at the ISH show this spring. Fuel cells, mod cons with Sterling engines inside the case. Plenty of solar and combo tanks, etc.

I believe they also supply the boiler Laars calls the Mascot.

They have struggled with reps and distribution from my experience. Certainly a big player across the pond.

hot rod

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Maine Ken
    Maine Ken Member Posts: 531
    Options

All of the venting materials I have ever needed came with the package!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • kal_2
    kal_2 Member Posts: 60
    Options
    the best way to buy a baxi-luna in the states...

Is to buy it from laars sold as the “mascot” – the middle man isn’t costing you all that much and the support is priceless – and do get the optional seamans controller for ease of setup – but don’t leave it with the customer – the boiler is great and it a real problem solver for apt buildings

Attached is a pic of one of 8 in an apt build that Moses of ENY did – and I am drawing out two jobs with many more as we speak – with the one is in a the picture they wrapped a closet around it so tight that they were cooking the electronics – so do yourself a favor weld a clearance frame around it to they cant do that – we stipulate that we wont support it if they don’t give us at east 6” in front of it
  • Unknown
    Options
    pic?

• Kal Row
    Kal Row Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    oops forgot pic...

• Bob Forand
    Options
    Kal

Hi Kal, a couple of questions for you. Why did you put an additional pump before the zone valves, a low water cutoff, spirovent ? Also I noticed that you are missing a drip leg on the gas connection. Nice looking install in tight spaces.

And also so that you know, Laars does not have access to all of the Baxi products available. They are limited to the HT materials only. They won't have access to any of the new stuff coming from Baxi later this year either.
  • Kal Row
    Options
    first this job was ENY ECHANICAL..

and the drip leg off to the right is behind the girder where the is a lot more vertical space
    as for the pump - i don’t understand the question, it’s the system pump in a primary/secondary system – how else would you move the water to the loads?

As for not having access to all baxi’s products – that’s too bad for baxi – as laars can make their own and/or oem from others, italy’s genoni will sell HX’s to anyone, so I don’t see how baxi can gain from limiting what of theirs laars can sell
  • Ron Huber_2
    Ron Huber_2 Member Posts: 127
    Options
    Baxi/Mascot

When you buy the Baxi HT you get the seimens control for the same price that you pay for the Mascot without the control, and it is the same boiler. You also get the basic vent kit with either the HT or the non condensing model. WE get ours from one of the Winair supply houses. Started using them to replace the Heatmaker/Endurance jobs we were doing and now use the Baxi in place of the GB and Vitodens on jobs as well. We will continue to use the GB and the Vitodens, but the Baxi has been a good fit for most jobs, we have also used the 1.65 condesing model for a large house where the HT was not big enough for.
  • Unknown
    Options
    nice install

ken: compact! i love installs like that, challenging but very rewarding. btw, they make copper headers for that alberta custom tee
  • Unknown
    Options
    nice install

kal: compact! i love installs like that, challenging but very rewarding. btw, they make copper headers for that: alberta custom tee
  • Kal Row
    Options
    in a word \"time\"...

they never have just the right one, and we are long out of there by the time they get it in
  • Kal Row
    Options
    does your rep support you well?...

cause my laars, lochinvar reps support me very well as does slant-fin directly here - you cant put a price on that!!

as for the siemans control, my cusomers would play with it and screw it all up - so i connect it to program and that's it - it's not in real "english" like the lochinvar display's, so training the customer is too involved
This discussion has been closed.