Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water shut off

paseasonal
paseasonal Member Posts: 1
With a loop hot water heating system, is it safe to shut off the main water valve in the summer? in the winter?

Comments

• Ken_40
    Ken_40 Member Posts: 1,320
    That depends...

I assume you are refering to the main for the entire house?

It should be, but only if you have a backflow preventer, and a check of sorts in the pressure reducing valve you probably have.

A service ball vale or similar positive 'stop' valve between the house water piping and the boiler is always a good idea, whether code or not. I leave mine closed. Since I have a relatively new heating system, there are no leaks whatsoever. I see 12# on the gage when off, as high as 18 in dead of winter - when running/on. Never below 12 ever. Knowing the system is dead-nuts tight, I have nothing to be concerned about - the boiler will never dry fire.

If you turn off the water to protect from burst pipes flooding the house while away, how do you protect the boiler in winter and the water therein, when and if a power failure occurs? A frozen boiler or burst pipes can make a bad day worse...

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Rich Kontny_4
    Rich Kontny_4 Member Posts: 73
    ???????

With a hydronic heating system you should be able to fill it remove the air and do as Ken has suggested. However Ken has stated that his system is new and extremely tight without any need for water makeup.

If this is a seasonal home and you are indeed afraid of burst pipes and flooding you need to winterize the hydronic system with formulated hydronic antifreeze. This requires monitoring at least twice a year to insure the proper concentration(s)

If you have an old system or a system with leaks you need makeup water to maintain proper system pressure. I would suggest that you get a professional in to look over both your plumbing and hydronic systems.This would be money well spent as freeze-ups can be very expensive.

There are low temperature (ambient) sensors that activate either a light or your alarm company in case of threatening low temperatures. In fact we have one on the outside of our unoccuppied parish center. The police notifies our Priest if the light comes on.

There are many ways to skin a cat here, that is why I suggest you getting a reputable professional in to give you sound advice.

Ken is one of the best if he lives in your area.

Rich K.
  • Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    shut off the water?

> With a loop hot water heating system, is it safe

> to shut off the main water valve in the summer?

> in the winter?

• Al Letellier_9
    Al Letellier_9 Member Posts: 929
    shut off the water?

NEVER....unless the boiler is equipped with a low water cut-off !!!
This discussion has been closed.