Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water use, steam vs. baseboard

Options
Do steam system use significantly more water than baseboard systems?

Comments

• Brad White
    Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
    Options
    \"In what way?\", he asked.

If you are asking in terms of initial water content, a steam system uses significantly less water. The piping is dry and the boiler is full to about 2/3rds. the way to the top. No argument there.

A water system would of course have a full boiler and piping.

(Both systems use the same water over and over again as a way to transfer heat. This is unlike a domestic hot water heater where you use it at the same rate it flows in.)

Now, operationally: Ideally, both steam and hot water systems should never need make-up water in a perfect world.

Realistically (I deal in reality), steam systems tend to use more water over time. There are a multitude of apertures; vents, drains, imperfect joints which can pass vapor if not sensible water outright. Plus a steam system requires occasional blow-down of your float type low-water cut-off to maintain it in a safe condition. What comes out must go back in.

A hot water system, any closed system for that matter, ideally and realistically should only require new water when a portion is drained for servicing.

Does that answer your question?

Brad
    "If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad
This discussion has been closed.