Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Rookies

Options
Guy Woollard
Guy Woollard Member Posts: 82
I did notice the apparently unopened literature envelope in the background of the final photo. You don't think that they ignored it completely and just stuck it back there, do you?

Guy Woollard
N.E. Regional Sales Mgr
Triangle Tube Corp.

Comments

• Tony_23
    Tony_23 Member Posts: 1,033
    Options
    Experience shows

The pair that installed this advertise "almost 2 decades of experience". In reality, they're rounding it up a bit :)

They've underbid me by $1000 on a 2 day job once. I see how they are so quick, now :)
  • Tony_23
    Options
    Experience shows

The pair that installed this advertise "almost 2 decades of experience". In reality, they're rounding it up a bit :)

They've underbid me by $1000 on a 2 day job once. I see how they are so quick, now :)

Pic #1 : Notice how they maintained the required 11" from the bottom of the hood to the boiler jacket. Nice straight cut, too :)
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ha,

I really like the mounting of that Effikal, holds the temp in the sections while room-air sails up the chimney. Great move!

Dave
  • Mitch_5
    Mitch_5 Member Posts: 102
    Options
    Do you know how many times

I have tryed to sell quality or at least (SAFE) work.

All I hear is "Ya but the other guy is cheaper"

You can talk until you are blue in the face and your H.O. came close to being just that.

Bet its going to cost more than a grand to fix.

Do you have licencing in your area, what is going to happen?

Mitch S.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Josh_10
    Josh_10 Member Posts: 787
    Options

I think the key word in "almost 2 decades of experience" is ALMOST. How much is almost? 1,2 or 5-10 years short? If they actually had that kind of experience they would have no problem not saying almost...
  • Tony_23
    Options
    More details

The tridicator read 180 this A.M. and the tstat is OFF. I shut off the power and it was still 180 @ 3:30. This all from just the pilot. You should see the corrosion around the shaft hole and the disformation of the plastic on the back of the motor head. They even cut the hood to make it fit ! They've also got a Flo-control on both supply and return, but they were both backed out so far they were open.
    I don't understand why anybody is even making standing pilot boilers anymore. In my experience (over 20 years;)), spark ignition is more reliable.

No licensing here, just the marketplace. No support from the contractors for it, either. Can you see why ?

The double 007's have me puzzled, too. It appears to be a gravity system, except the CI rads are all piped in and out the bottom taps. Lots of 3" iron. I think it should be a single 007 for the house and maybe a 008 for the boiler on P/S or a LLH.

We're in there doing 5 ductless splits and we're going to fix the Effikal issue. I'm betting this HO who inherited this beauty will be having me do the maintenance from now on :)
  • Ted_9
    Ted_9 Member Posts: 1,718
    Options
  • Weezbo
    Weezbo Member Posts: 6,232
    Options
    the 007's seem to be whats refered to as ...

Turbulent flow
    :)
  • mtfallsmikey
    mtfallsmikey Member Posts: 765
    Options
    This may be a stupid question, but..

Did they cut / remove the bottom of the smoke ell on top of the hood? Sure looks like it to me. Well, all I can say is you should make up the profit you lost from getting underbid with the repairs that need to be made!
  • Tony_23
    Options
    Underbid

This isn't the same job they underbid me on. The house has changed hands and the new HO called me for the AC on some very strong referrals. BTW, the job they bid $1k less on, I got too. A grand was a big red flag to the supt. and they couldn't explain their bid details to him. "The Devil is in the details" :)
  • heatboy
    heatboy Member Posts: 1,468
    Options
    Connect the iron piping.....

.....together so it makes on big circuit with a pump that has a flat curve. Pipe the boiler into one of the areas you piped together as a secondary from the main loop. From the looks of it, 1.25" pipe would be fine.

Pump the boiler with a three speed pump and add boiler protection (i.e. reverse aquastat or Thermix, etc.) Use a pump relay that starts the main pump so it runs continously on a call for heat, then use the isolated end switch from the relay to start the boiler circuit.

The system will self adjust water temps depending on how cold it is because there will be longer burner cycles the colder it gets. Sort of a quasi-reset system.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    heatboy

The Radiant Whisperer

"The laws of physics will outweigh the laws of ecomomics every time."
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,526
    Options
    Tony,

why not take a Find a Professional ad? It would give you a place to show your work.
    Retired and loving it.
  • Tim P._2
    Tim P._2 Member Posts: 47
    Options

Are those circs pumping against each other?

I'm not a plumber, but something doesn't look right.

Tim
  • Big Ed
    Big Ed Member Posts: 1,117
    Options
    Years Matters ?

I beleve its the man and the teacher , not the years put in .. More the man finding the correct teacher and method.... Seen great jouneymen and crappy masters...

• Tony_23
    Options
    Nope

They're pumping the same way, but you're right, there's something wrong. The electrical junction box of the left circ is on the bottom, something that should not be done.
  • bob_50
    bob_50 Member Posts: 306
    Options
    Is the

Ward-flex holding up the romex or is the romex holding up the Ward-flex?
  • michael siena
    michael siena Member Posts: 53
    Options
    romex

wait i can't wire tie electrical wires to a gas pipe? what are you going to tell me next?
  • Nick_30
    Nick_30 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Another stupid question

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the boiler but my curiosoty has the best of me. What is that that is shrinkwrapped in the back of i believe the 2nd pic?
  • Tony_23
    Options
    Just something stored there

This discussion has been closed.