Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing hot water heat piping

Options
Brad White
Brad White Member Posts: 2,398
What you are describing, Craig, seems to be a hot water finned convector maybe.

The first question I would ask is, "is the Nuheat (electric?) up to the task of heating the entire space? Are you confident in that such that you can jettison the pod of what was reliable hydronic heat?

If you are, then your idea to jumper the supply and return is a good one, especially if you have a diverter tee or monoflow system or -best reason yet- a series loop system!

If you have a regular 2-pipe system AND it is served by a condensing boiler, I would cap them off such that the bypassed flow will not raise your return water temperature. If you have a conventional boiler and a 2-pipe system, I would put in a restrictor valve of some sort so that you do not waste pump energy rat-racing that flow without control. You may want to keep it valved on both ends in case your floor heating does not cut it, in the end. Just trying to preserve your options!

Brad
"If you do not know the answer, say, "I do not know the answer", and you will be correct!"

-Ernie White, my Dad

Comments

• Craig Lindsay
    Craig Lindsay Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Removing hot water heat system pipe

I have a hot water heating system in my house. I am remodelling a bathroom, and putting in nuheat system in floor under tiles. AS a result, I need to remove the existing hot water heating pipe (looks like a 3/4" copper pipe with a bunch of coils attached to it).

Can I simply cut out the copper heating pipe and replace with a regular 3/4" pipe with no coils?

Craig
This discussion has been closed.