Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Sweating Liquid line

Options
sounds like a restriction in the LL. Or a orafice problem as previously mentioned.

Comments

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    Not good

I was in an attic of a house. The furnace is a 1989 Carrier atmospheric ~60% efficiency. The evap coil has been changed out at some time in the past, before the current owner moved in about 4 years ago.

The house is being sold as part of the divorce decree and the owner does not want to put a single penny into repairs, just wants to get out.

The system is a 2.5 ton and the line sweats from the spot from where it comes through the top plate of the studs. I informed the homeowner about the problem and gave a price to cut out the sheet rock to find and repair the possible kink/crimp in the line.

Amazing thing to me is the lines are run in an inside wall and you can hear the flashing gas in the bedroom. The 10 year old son has always heard the noise and thought it was the air noise from the return.

Oh, the furnace's control board is on it's way out also. While I was in the attic looking for problems, the board clicked several times and the gas furnace lit off. It's 90° outside!

Some days.....
  • jim lockard
    jim lockard Member Posts: 1,059
    Options
    oh well jeff

I am sure the great state of GA has more A/Cs then you can every fix so just wish them well and move on. J. Lockard
  • don_192
    don_192 Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Fix it

Fix it and send some of those southern winds my way.Sure stinks waiting for summer.

Watch out for sweating liquid line.I've seen where the piston would not seat properly and the freon would bypass
    instead of go thru the metering device and you end up with a flooded coil.Flooded coil plus lack of pressure differential at the metering device leads to flashing in the liquid line.

Hope this helps.

• Jeff Lawrence_25
    Jeff Lawrence_25 Member Posts: 746
    Options
    I checked

The line in the basement where it disappears into the wall and it's dry down there.

I personally feel it's a restriction inside the wall. The buyer is bringing 'his' guy over to check it out. I just gotta wonder how long this has been going on, why the person that replaced the coil didn't catch it (if it was there at that time?) and what will the other guy say?

This discussion has been closed.