Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Aquastat Relay

Options
I looked at it yesterday. I once had a power boat come at me when I was in a canoe, and this was remaniscent. I don't think I spelled that last word right, but I'm too tired to figure it out, or heavenforbid, look it up! Thanks for all you do!

Comments

• Vincent J. DiMaggio
    Vincent J. DiMaggio Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Aquastat Relay

Is the L8148A Aquastat Relay considered a single-acting relay? If so, what is it that makes it so?
  • Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Options
    If I understand you right,....

This control will bring on pump and burner as (1) step or single action. Burner control is secondarily controlled be the Aquastat and set at desired temp, but the pump will continue to run until load is satisfied.

Not sure if that is what you need, but look at Honeywell.com and enter you exact Mod # in the Upper rt. space and research your control. There are 2 types.....

By the way the relay is Double pole?single throw.

Mike T.
  • Vincent J. DiMaggio
    Options

The reason for the question is that my control went and I had the service company install new one. The contract states a single action aquastat is covered. However, they are billing me for the control.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Single action?

Sounds to broad....... Is the new control the same thing? There is a mod # inside the cover. If it's covered, It's covered I can't imagine what the problem is.

Mike T.
  • Glenn Harrison_2
    Glenn Harrison_2 Member Posts: 845
    Options
    Technically, no

A single action aquastat would be a control with a set of contacts that would open and close based on water temperature.

An Aquastat relay does consist of multiple components, such as an aquastat, a two pole relay, and a transformer.

So, based on your description of your contract, it is not covered, probably based on the price difference between an aquastat, and an aquastat relay.

Sorry.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Hello Glen

I think it would be nice if we could get the old control Mod # and also the new one. Almost sounds to me like the Co is saying:(Exmp) that they installed a heat pump, but will only warranty straight A/C components. Idunno,...Sounds fishy to me....:-)

Mike T.
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    Combination device

I agree with Glenn, this is a combination aquastat relay - not just an aquastat. The aquastat is your high limit switch based on water temperature. You typically dial it to the highest temp you want the boiler to reach during operation.

The relay portion is a DPST relay - double pole, single throw. Basically this means there are 2 switches (poles), that make contact when energized. 1 pole is used to turn on your boiler B terminals, the 2nd pole is used to turn on your circulator C terminals.

In Honeywell model nomenclature, your L8148A = L4006A (aquastat)+ RA845A(relay). These two controls are combined together in that grey box. They can't replace just the aquastat function only of the control you have. Thats why your being billed.

Hope that explains it. Next service contract, get them to warranty all controls.
  • carol_3
    carol_3 Member Posts: 397
    Options

Glenn and Glenn are right on. The L8148 is a combination of an aquastat, a relay, and a transformer all in one package.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    CHeck This out, Off topic but funny

Watch Out......:-) Be careful what you fish for......:-)

Mike T.
  • Vincent J. DiMaggio
    Options

Glen,

Thanks for the info. I believe Honeywell shows the switching action on this control as SPST. Hence my inquiry on single acting.

Vin
  • Glenn Sossin_2
    Glenn Sossin_2 Member Posts: 592
    Options
    aquastat function SPST

That would refer to the function of the Aquastat portion of the L8148A. Technically, the aquastat would be the SPST portion, the relay portion would be DPST.
  • Empire_2
    Options
    Carol Fey?

Check out the video, I think you will get a kick out of it. It has been checked for virus

Mike T.
This discussion has been closed.